Evs safer for cyclists according to green mp

Page 1 / 3
ascotbks, Jun 21, 7:26pm
according to green mp Julie Anne Genter on tv last night that trouble with utes was if they hit a cyclist or pedestrian there was likely to be serious injury so implying that if hit by ev all would be well.

3tomany, Jun 21, 7:43pm
Evs are programmed to hit the softest object so if a car is in the way it will avoid the car and run over the smallest thing in it's view. That object will either be a cyclist or pedestrian.
https://www.fastcompany.com/3064539/self-driving-mercedes-will-be-programmed-to-sacrifice-pedestrians-to-save-the-driver

3tomany, Jun 21, 7:46pm
Has she not heard that loud pipes save lives.

ryanm2, Jun 21, 7:55pm
There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that EVs are hitting a lot more pedestrians in car parks and in high volume areas. It’s not the EVs fault, it’s the people that can’t hear them walking out in front of them.

soundsgood, Jun 21, 8:28pm
Cyclists wobble off in front of cars. An EV can accelerate faster and .

tygertung, Jun 21, 8:31pm
Those big stupid double cab utes are dangerous for people on bicycles or pedestrians as they have a much higher flat area at the front. On a normal car you just sort of roll over the bonnet without much injury, however the bonnet is much too high on those big stupid double cab utes.

Of course the same issue exists with buses, and vans, but those are usually used for legitimate reasons.

annie17111, Jun 21, 11:30pm
lol you really hate DC Utes don't ya. I can't tow our derby car, or our boat without my ute. Also can't put my dogs in the back of a sedan along with kids, tried a station wagon but if my dog finds something stinky to roll in, it stinks the whole car out.
I did say no to bull bars though when I found out that it would cause more damage if I hit someone.

tygertung, Jun 22, 12:22am
They do have legitimate uses which you seem to have, however a lot of people just use them to go down to the shops in and never actually tow anything or use one for it's actual purpose.

annie17111, Jun 22, 12:57am
I live in a town where heaps of people drive DC Utes and all seem to have a legitimate use, but really just looking at a ute, how can you judge whether they are being used for towing etc. We actually have two utes as the single cab is hubby's run around one and we load it up with grass clippings etc.

gunna-1, Jun 22, 6:26am
The biggist problem in town are those suv things that block the sight from traffic, and then there are people who target cyclists and pedestrians, ive had someone attempt to deliberately hit me on a crossing from a stop, and only just missed hitting my back calf or taking my foot out, the attitude towards non car users has to improve, but ev,s are very quiet and i did get taken by surprise by one, and it was going quick to, scary as hell, i made the mistake of reading some other stuped forum last night and saw some very depressing attitudes towards cyclests, its still out there, if they are in a ute, shopping cart, suv, or electric car these nutcases are dangerous because they are criminaly insane.

tygertung, Jun 22, 7:58am
The other option is to use a trailer for all the grass clippings. However I just leave them on the lawn.

brouser3, Jun 22, 8:14am
Perhaps it is actually the 'fault' of the car park owner. Surprising that there aren't many more car vs pedestrian incidents. Should be a requirement that all vehicles can be accessed via a pedestrian only walkway - and if it is a park such as a supermarket, that goods can be transferred from the shopping cart safely as well.

tygertung, Jun 22, 8:23am
At least in the supermarket they are not going high speed.

amasser, Jun 22, 9:18am
Or have a weekly bin collected. Seems an odd reason to have a 2nd vehicle.

ascotbks, Jun 22, 10:13am
whats odd? at times i use mine for storing booze.
mostly all ev owners will have a second car for practical reasons

ascotbks, Jun 22, 10:20am
what rubbish. the ony way you wont receive life threatening injury rolling over a normal car, whatever that is, is if by chance the vehicle behind is a double cab ute with an old mattress on back going to the tip that you land on and just by chance the driver is a doctor who rushes to your aid

kazbanz, Jun 22, 10:20am
Wasn't it legislated in the US that EV's have to make noise whilst driving. For the very reason that the silence was causing accidents?

skiff1, Jun 22, 10:29am
A lawn? That’s not a legitimate use of soil. You should be using it to grow vegetables for the poor. Though apparently in our social stupid utopia, we don’t have any poor people.
I knew that the “scheme” would be absolute gold to the ute hating Muppets of the world.

3tomany, Jun 22, 10:30am

3tomany, Jun 22, 10:32am
Loud pipes save lives was many years ago just a joke. Now it has turned into a factual statement.

3tomany, Jun 22, 10:38am
So bad are the roads due to lack of maintenance that driving a ute or SUV is the only option. My daughter is having enough trouble busting tyres on her SUV and may soon need a ute just to do mummy duties. Big AT tyres and a live axel certainly can stand up to our infrastructure. State highway 12 and 14 are full of massive holes up here never mind the council owned roads.

gunna-1, Jun 22, 10:42am
You have a better chance of not going under it, and instead going up on the bonnet and going into a laminated windscreen, but before we think about that the attitude towards cyclists and pedestrians needs to change in general.

tygertung, Jun 22, 11:09am
You might think that, however I went to Indonesia a few years ago, and the roads were way worse than here, and people were just using normal small cars. But they do drive a bit more carefully over there.

3tomany, Jun 22, 11:22am
Probably costs nothing to fix them there either. Also probably no WOF requirement to replace broken bits. I spend a couple of days a week at a local garage up here and 70% of the cars that come through get failed on suspension parts worn. With most cars that is a lot of moving parts. Utes are the only thing that stands up to our roads. You begin to understand why the land cruiser is one of the biggest sellers in Aussie Even though they are over 100k as those things are next level strong after utes.

bumfacingdown, Jun 22, 11:45am
"if they hit a cyclist or pedestrian there was likely to be serious injury "
Is that not true?
Your inference may or may not be true or may just be an opinion masquerading as fact