Japanese import GPS questions

nzmax, Nov 4, 8:55am
Up until recently nearly every second thread on here was someone with a newly purchased Japanese import wondering how they could get their GPS to operate in NZ. I have noticed that these questions seem to be few and far between now. I was just curious as to why. Are dealers now telling purchasers that it wont work here? Has it just become common knowledge now? Has someone invented something to make it work? or have people given up on in-car GPS and just use their smart phones instead? Just my random thought for the day.

heywillhay1, Nov 4, 9:27am
A lot of newer model card come loaded with NZ maps now, maybe just the older ones getting phased out? Or more people can use that thing called google

kazbanz, Nov 4, 7:37pm
nzmax--it does seem it has become common knowledge. Ive noticed most customers already know the GPS won't work in NZ. even as recently as 3 years ago that wasn't the case. it could also be that salesmen are telling customers more often about it not working in NZ

daryl14, Nov 6, 6:12pm
A smart phone using Google maps to navigate needs to chew a lot of roaming data. A nav man doesn't use data.

vtecintegra, Nov 17, 9:23am
Roaming is only an issue if you're on an old 2degrees plan - for everyone else data is data