Vc vh vk vl Commodore

Page 1 / 2
s.j.larsen, Apr 21, 9:48am
wanting to buy a 80,s commodore in good condition 4 or 6 cyl anybody out there know of one for sale ? prefer if in South lsland !

monaro17, Apr 21, 9:55am
Sorry- personal ads are not allowed on here. You will need to just keep an eye out on upcoming listings

franc123, Apr 21, 10:11am
Good luck finding a 4cyl VL, thankfully they don't exist.

treachug, Apr 21, 10:17am
Good ones are getting harder & harder to find. I think people have slowly realised these models are reasonably scarce (& becoming collectible) & starting to be sought after.
Personally I have a VK in the garage slowly being bought back to life - tidying up after someone did (or at least attempted) a V8 transplant. Everything I have touched so far needed to be either redone correctly or at least tidied up esp when it gets to cert time.

treachug, Apr 21, 10:19am
Bad enough having a 2.0L 6cyl version

ralphdog1, Apr 21, 10:29am
Hypothetically if I had a 1986 VK 6 wagon, original, straight, about 190k on the clock, been parked for 10-12 years, plates still live, what could it be worth?

franc123, Apr 21, 10:40am
You do wonder where they all went given they were all top selling cars for their time, rust and blown up starfires probably were the main reason they were given up on. Upgrading the engines to either bigger Holden units, Chev V8's or even Nissan diesels was certainly a hell of a lot more complicated than you'd think to do properly and caught out many a financially and skill challenged bogan, as you well know. Now is certainly the time to be getting your hands on an unmolested one, well a factory 6 or 8 at least.

sandypheet, Apr 21, 5:26pm
Have a guy at work with a VK Calais that he would part with for the right money, apparently it has Brocks signature on it.

treachug, Apr 21, 7:24pm
lol, yep, I have destroyed a few VK's using them as Streetstocks & also some VC's as derby cars.

gunhand, Apr 22, 4:57am
I know where there is a very original VK 6. Motors all been rebuilt etc etc, body in very good nick as well. But even though it just sits under a cover and will never be used again. he won't sell.

seadubya, Apr 22, 5:09am
Are you on facebook? You could join a group like "holden buy sell & $wap nz"

s.j.larsen, Apr 22, 7:32am
that's a shame would love to just have a look and a talk always a good story behind old cars like this my family had new ones through the 80s grew up with them i drove a vh brand new real memories as a holden freak!

s.j.larsen, Apr 22, 7:34am
didn't know that thanks !

seadubya, Apr 22, 7:43am
There are quite a few trading and/or enthusiast groups on facebook, just type in holden and any other key words like nz or sell etc and join any that interest you. Some of them are magic for parts and advice, others are mostly cars for sale etc.

nzmax, Apr 22, 8:48am
A totally random Commodore snippet. According to the AA Motorworld road test of the VH Commodore range in 1982, 3 out of 4 Commodores sold were 4cylinder.

rlr29, Apr 22, 9:18am
$15000?

2sheddies, Apr 22, 6:35pm
It's worth whatever someone's willing to pay, but my guess would be perhaps no more than 4 or 5k at the absolute maximum, for a super tidy original one at the moment? In my opinion, while good, unmolested examples are definitely becoming thin on the ground these days, they still have a way to go before I'd class them a true 'classic'. and some people never will. So figures above that would possibly be way too ambitious at this stage.

However, they're lovely old cars, and I'd personally like to own one. (Had an opportunity once and let it go. now I kick myself!) Simple, reliable, plenty of spares available, and great for a DIY Holden enthusiast to get into a bit of tinkering on their future classic.

Just my 2c worth anyway. :-)

ml6989, Apr 22, 7:36pm
I was considering an estimate along the lines of a 24 pack and a bonus bottle of Baileys if it was as good as you say. I think I must be out of touch!

321mat, Apr 23, 12:02am
Stay away from the VL Commodores (the small headlight model), as they suffer chronic rust around the rear window, and the Nissan engines in thgem are prone to crack heads.

mrfxit, Apr 23, 1:27am
"vc vh vk vl Commodore"

Funny how theres no VD series Commodore

treachug, Apr 23, 8:20am
Crikey! You reckon only the VL's rust around the rear window? Better rethink that - they all do! They all have rubber holding in the rear screen & the design is such there is no drain for the water that builds up in the channel.

2sheddies, Apr 23, 8:25am
Which means the boot turns into a swimming pool. Looked at a few VL's years back, and all leaked water into the boot.

franc123, Apr 23, 8:39am
Which is added to by the water that gets past the tail lights. The pool disappears once the spare wheel well rusts out. no more problem.

ratherbefishin, Apr 25, 4:28am
There's a few left out there, hard t.o get now days

thunderbolt, Apr 25, 5:19am
I thought the water leak through the antenna mount into the ECU was their best feature