Holden Experts

kazbanz, Nov 11, 8:02am
I thought series 2 were 3.5

monaro17, Nov 11, 8:08am
^no, the VY and VYII had the 3.8L V6 Ecotec engine- it wasn't until the VZ when they went to the newer 3.6L V6 Alloytec.

A quick check on carjam shows first registration in late 2003 which means it would likely have been manufactured a month or two beforehand. The VY model came out mid 2002 and ended with the VYII in early/mid 2004. so with that one being a late 2003 example I think it is safe to believe it is a series 2.

in saying this I don't believe the VYII brought too many upgrades.

tatts2, Nov 11, 8:12am
Thanks do you think it would be a good buy.

xs1100, Nov 11, 8:12am
vy old tech but very reliable and cheap for parts and so on, low ks for 12 yrs old.
3.6 beware of noisy timing chains

monaro17, Nov 11, 8:16am
I always have an issue with how much people want for ute versions- the car/sedan version of that with those kms would be some $3000-$4000 less.

It seems like a lot of money to me for what it is but. it will likely never put a foot wrong and be as solid as a rock. However a BA Falcon ute has a better powertrain.

treachug, Nov 11, 8:54am
Its a VY series 1. Vin number provides the info as does some external & internal identifying things on the vehicle itself.

Could post info as to how to tell (& happy to) but may bore you lol

And its a 3.8 Ecotech so does not suffer from the dreaded timing chain stretch like the Alloytec suffered

peja, Oct 28, 10:30am
Do agree about the price, bought a V8 Commy wagon only a couple of years older and slightly higher kms, paid $9K and that was off a dealer too. A sedan would have been even cheaper. And yes the BA Falcon 6 is a hell of a good motor, used to have a AU ute