Honda Capa 1999 auto ignition problems

farnortherner, Jun 30, 9:10pm
My Mums car is a Honda Capa 1999 and she can no longer turn the key and start the car anymore and steering is obviously locked. So would it be the ignition barrel? and if so how long does it take to fix, and is it an auto electrician that needs to fix it or can we do it ourselves. Just asking on behalf of my mum as shes driving buses all the time in Hamilton.

farnortherner, Jun 30, 9:12pm
5 days its been playing up and before that it was fine, do you think someone may have tampered with her car? Or just a problem that happened on its own. Just asking on behalf, she said she fluked it one day starting it but I said your lucky the steering didnt lock or well maybe that could have happened?

farnortherner, Jun 30, 9:13pm
She got a second hand part from the honda place on higgins road, they didnt ask for anything but the make and model and year, shes not sure if its the right one

intrade, Jun 30, 9:23pm
sonds like a worn out key and berral has the dust collected in there. Would need to be removed i only know toyota you can pull the assembly in the ACC peosition a good locksmith should be able to sort it they can recut keys from lock or from the numbers on original keys

mecanix, Jun 30, 9:26pm
they are easy enough to swap out. a hammer, dot punch and phillips screw driver and a little patience is all that's required.

farnortherner, Jun 30, 9:27pm
ok so best to make sure the part my mum got is the correct one, then can the key be cut with the ignition barrel in or can we take the barrel to the locksmith first before we put it in.

farnortherner, Jun 30, 9:28pm
ok so well we might just get the right part first and then we will leave it to the locksmith to do

farnortherner, Jun 30, 9:35pm
ok cool thanks everyone

mecanix, Jun 30, 9:37pm
take it to the locky with the original key. as long as it goes in the barrell the locky will change the barrell to suit.

mecanix, Jun 30, 9:39pm
pro tip. before fitting the replacement part. cut slots in the security bolts.

farnortherner, Jul 3, 6:18am
Thanks didnt need to go to the locky, brother fixed it. All going again. Part costed $50 and was the correct part.

mecanix, Mar 30, 6:38pm
2 keys can be a pain in the arse. cut a slot in one to tell the difference.