How to remove ignition barrel!

candii06, Dec 12, 10:41pm
Hey guys. just had half of the car key break off in the ignition of my 1991 nz new subaru legacy DX wagon. When i stick the other half back in, it wont turn so yeh trying to get the barrel off now. have removed surrounds off the steering column. but cant figure out how to get barrel off the column. any one in the know of one of these! thanks

kazbanz, Dec 12, 10:46pm
You need a centre punch and a hammer--Youll see the two mounting bolts up under but they use snap off bolts--only way is to patiently wind them out with the punch and hammer

ginga4lyfe, Dec 12, 10:50pm
or if you have a small cutting disk for the end of the drill, you can cut a line down the center of the bolt, and use a flathead, It may pay to drop the column down though ( dont remove it all the way ) , but as kaz has stated the center punch way is a proven method, just takes a damn long time

jokerboss, Dec 12, 10:53pm
locksmith's have a tool for just the job, you dont need to remove anything (except money from your wallet for callout)

candii06, Dec 12, 11:01pm
Thanks for that. went back and looked at the ignition again. the 2 mounting bolts that clamp the the ignition barrel etc to the steering barrel are located at the top of the wheel (ignition key doesnt match doors or boot so guessing it may be an aftermarket ignition) will go try kaz's method. :)

candii06, Dec 12, 11:09pm
hahaha true that. well money is just too tight at the moment to let the locksmiths get their hands on the car. cars have been my nightmare lately. have a 88 fairmont ghia with no warrant as the list of issues was long, a 92 bluebird arx with a fuel problem that makes it undrivable, then theres this dumb subaru & its key problem. The only perfectly working car we have left is a Mazda ms8 efini. fingers crossd it doesnt break this xmas :P haha

kazbanz, Dec 12, 11:54pm
If its had a replacement barrel then you will find the blts have already been replaced

andrea_w, Dec 13, 12:16am
It takes a matter of seconds. if not a few mins tops.
Never met an ignition I couldn't remove fairly quickly once the dome head bolts are accessible.

ginga4lyfe, Dec 13, 12:23am
must be the cars i had worked on then

andrea_w, Dec 13, 12:32am
It's probably down to technique ;)
Cos the cars you have worked on. I probably have too!

ginga4lyfe, Dec 13, 3:33am
My last one was a red 1986 Mazda 323 and the boss wouldn't allow me to remove the steering wheel, so yeah ur probably right haah

lookoutas, Dec 13, 5:48am
You can drill the heads off too.

candii06, Dec 13, 11:31am
Used Kazbanz's trick with punching the bolts out. worked a treat. took the barrel to an awesome locksmith in ellerslie who got the broken piece of key out of the ignition & cut two new keys to code all for $35. all put back & fixed now. very happy. thanks for all the help guys :)