1995 Honda Inspire ignition problem

glyn4, Dec 3, 10:52pm
Just wondered if any one could help. My 1995 inspire will now only run if the ignition key is kept all the way turned on to the right. Once you let it go (like normally) the car stops. It also has a on name brand remote immobaliser. That seems to be OK however. Does it sound like the switch is burned out!Also wondered if I swapped it with one from a wrecker I may jam the immobiliser! HELP please if any one can.r

tmenz, Dec 4, 12:14am
Don't know about this model but earlier '90s Hondas based on the Accord had problems with ignition switch contacts that would not power the ignition circuits unless the key was manually biassed towards the 'Start' position or back towards the off position.
Are the dash lights on or off when the switch is in the normal 'ignition on' position.

If they are off, then the cure, possibly, is to remove the contact assembly, c/w wiring harness, from the LHS of the steering column (rear of the ignition lock/barrel assembly) and clean/burnish the contacts to remove any pitting until they're nice and shiny again!
Or replace the assembly with a new one if the contacts are too far gone.

jsbike, Dec 4, 12:20am
same prob in my prelude (1997) but not as bad, would just stop sometimes. it was a faulty ignition switch

glyn4, Dec 4, 1:21am
Cheers guys, will check out the dash lights, I'm pretty sure they don't come on.
Is it easy to pull those contacts out! I've taken all the covers away and see there are 2 small (looks like maybe 6mm) bolts on the rear of the switch. There is a dark grey domed cover there. The unit has a code SV4-A on it. If I take those boltsout will I get to the contacts! Cheers.

thegravelracer, Dec 4, 2:39am
lol same car same year happend to me just change the ignition switch altogether cleaning it up only pospones the issue for a day or 2 they cost 70 buks at central or repco

tmenz, Dec 4, 3:16am
My remedy has lasted several years so far. I priced the genuine contact/loom assembly from Honda Cars - was only about $100 at the time.

tmenz, Dec 4, 3:19am
I don't recall the exact procedure I went through - I know it was quite easy once the column shrouds were off - probably just those 2 screws - the wiring harness and the contact plate is all integrated - fine sandpaper or emery cloth followed by a bit of Brasso.

carlz05, Dec 4, 3:20am
I had a similar problem with a 94 Accord, mechanic replaced the loom and fixed it, was approx $150, but sorted the problem.

tmenz, Dec 4, 4:13am
I can't speak for yours but my Ascot (essentially Accord) has 2 bolts which hold in the assembly which has all the loom wires attached to it. Removing the bolts allows the assembly to come off - the attached harness is about 800mm long and plugs in under the dash. There is a plastic cover over the inside of the switch which is clipped on and can be readily removed with a couple of small screwdrivers - (don't break any lugs)! The cover contains the moving contacts (which should be captive) - don't shift their position or it won't line up correctly on reassembly!
The wired section has all the fixed contacts and you'll quickly be able to assess whether they're salvageable or not! They're probably silver plated which will have worn down to the copper base in places. Just dress 'em up and you're back on the road until you're ready to splash out for a new one!
(The Accord part number is 35130-SM4-305)

glyn4, Dec 4, 4:26am
Brilliant guys that's great.