2005 Terracan diesel,

punce1, Jan 15, 2:56am
looking for thoughts and personal views / reviews on this model vehicle. looking to buy one with 170 kms on it.

intrade, Jan 15, 3:01am
find out if it has a diesel particular filter most likely it has . then no short therm trips to be done and at least once a week a trip of non stop driving for 50 minutes at constant speed without shutting it off. so the diesel filter can do a passive regeneration. if it does not have a dpf system then you can do short trips but you have to be absolute sure that it dont has a dpf not just because the dealer told you waht you wanted to hear to make a sale.
Dpf live span is about 245.000km after that it will be full with ash and ash cant be burned off

msigg, Jan 15, 4:16am
I Know a contractor in Napier who had one and did about 280,000km in it with no problems at all, some of his work was pulling out tractor out of a ditch, moving contractor, so it stood the test of time and hard work. No problems.

jason18, Jan 15, 6:18am
Why have they made cars that can't do short trips? Seems pointless

lasertech, Jan 15, 6:51am
Intrade you are right on some of the info, but wrong on plenty more of what you have posted.
DPF life span 245,000 kms , where did you get that from?
Failure of dpf systems is mainly caused by faulty sensors not by driving habits.

oakie, Jan 15, 7:04pm
Intrade pffft. OP Terracan is basically a Mitsi Pajero and have a good name. I owned one for a few years with no problems at all. 170kms is getting up there but if it's got a good service history then should be ok for some time yet.

intrade, Jan 17, 12:10am
yes correct france 123 it is the emissons rules that make more and more problems as it means more and more electronic component must function at 100% as there is no room for error as was on high emission vehicles like them toyota corollas from the 1990s . Thats a classic example no check engine light and cat has melted down 200,000km ago and the oxigen sensor is dead since the last 15 years i would guess on my 95 corolla and it drives as normal with normal 7 liter per 100km fuelconsumption with 320,000km on the odometer.

intrade, Jan 17, 1:30am
from a professional video could have been miles however so it be by 1.6km =392.000km

franc123, Jan 17, 1:41am
Blame emission control standards and the fact you are still fundamentally burning an atomised oil in hot compressed air caused by lumps of metal moving up and down inside holes in an even bigger lump of metal as was pioneered in the late 19th century no matter how many fancypants devices you hang on it.