Want to replace Jap Import Audio System

molly37, Aug 31, 7:20pm
I would like to replace the Unit in my car. Currently its in Japanese and i can only manage to get a few channels. It has a CD stacker in the glove box. Had a wee look around on the weekend and was told it could be replaced with a head unit and face plate to cover the large gap, but not with the stacker which is ok. Some cancome with Nav System? but not fussed either way. This process seems pretty costly, around $1k. Are there any other options I could consider?

kazbanz, Aug 31, 8:25pm
Molly -as a generic answer I suggest budgeting $200 for a radio/CD/ Aux in into anything except a Toyota. For a Toyota its $230
That money gets you a single din (depth) radio with a storage pocket under it.
For radio/cd/reverse camera/Bluetooth/gps I's suggest yep $1000 budget.
But without Year /make /model nooone will be able to offer you specific advice Im sorry.
post up what your car is and I can give you a pretty good idea.

tamarillo, Sep 1, 12:06am
You'll very likely need wiring adaptor kit too, so that cars wires fit with new unit. I used eds auto services for wiring parts and panels and was very pleased.

molly37, Sep 1, 2:38am
Never needed to worry about such things. i'm driving my Fathers car who passed away in July. Its a 2005 280 Mercedes Benz, C Class. Dont think I've driven a car this old before, but he really wanted me to have it so i'll drive it for a while before considering what to do. In the mean time I'm sick of listening to the same CD's. Appreciate any advice.

saxman99, Sep 1, 2:58am
Change the CDs.

quickbuck, Sep 1, 3:16am
Love it.

kazbanz, Sep 1, 3:37am
I'd suggest you ring around. I have a niggly feeling that theres a card you can plug in. Specific to merc

molly37, Sep 1, 4:16am
ha ha, there's always a smart arse. FYI i've been through them all!

tamarillo, Sep 1, 4:24am

geoff_m, Sep 1, 4:50am
If it is a 2 DIN (double height) space, consider one of the Chinese GPS units. I have one in the family car and the camper - both from on here for around $230 each. Satnav is a nice thing to have.
They take SD cards or USB input so you can put hours of music on a chip

molly37, Sep 1, 6:38am
Thanks geoff_m and tamarillo. Very helpful.

intrade, Sep 1, 7:38am
what ever someone tells you do not mess with that radio.
even a 2001 mercedes has 9 computer modules where every last one of the modules is tasked to do some engine and gearbox managment , the radios are a programmed computer . messing with it and not knowing what some moron who claims he knows it all is doing will lead to a nightmare of electronic faults.
i have a client the towteam whangarei morons fitted a towbar , he went back there 3 or 4 times to get it sorted.
i put my scantool on noumerous codes all can bus related by the look so i diside to look at the towbar . i find a little box wired in direct to the wiring and not to the rim rear-intigration.module as it should be wired in as per factory towbar.
The box i googled australian make. states on there website
! NOT FOR CAN BUS ! can the morons read or even have a clue of anything i ask my self i guess not, and i could have suspected it
Removed the crap but its still having a short somwhere on the can-bus
So told client get wiring diagramm and i find out where the canbus is having the problem and he ordered the factory towbar kit whom we can learn on to the rear intigration module once its plugged in.
thats 2001 your one is way way more full of electronics then this early one.

intrade, Sep 1, 7:43am
So DO NOT remove the radio unless you have a factory mercedes one and somone to install and relearn it on to your cars system with all the functions your car has
now you know why its costly

kazbanz, Sep 1, 8:29pm
Unless its something exceptional its not double din-its Mercedes size.
A bit wider and higher than single din.
Im still trying to remember the specifics with merc. if its just language you can reset or its a setting like in BMW so the jap restriction can be over ridden back to international.
My memory might be putting me crook

socram, Sep 1, 10:22pm
You can't have that many then - unless you mean the 6 stuck in the CD changer! At a rough guess I'd have well over 1,000 CDs. Sadly, none of my car CD systems cope with MP3 tracks.

molly37, Sep 2, 5:22am
You are right. I have only about 6. And there is no function to use my phone or ipod. Lots of help here, looks like i'll need to splash out to get a decent system as it looks tricky otherwise.

intrade, Sep 3, 2:09am
do your resesarch somone with the DAS-xentry scanner should know if your radio can be reflashed to other language or what fits and how to pear it in to the system