Dealers window price

Page 1 / 2
sakkara, Apr 1, 6:24am
how much of a % can you expect off the price if you walk in with cash ;-) ?

carclan, Apr 1, 6:29am
None, I emailed a dealer to see how much discount he would give me for a 20K G6E Falacon, not even a reply so screw him, no deal.

bwg11, Apr 1, 6:30am
This has been done to death previously. Cash is NOT king. The dealer wants to sell you a warranty and finance.

carclan, Apr 1, 6:36am
i agree, but not even a reply, I want to pay cash and not credit so what is the problem?

gammelvind, Apr 1, 6:45am
Have to agree that the lack of reply is slack, but from the other perspective how many questions "wots ya best price mate?" come in on a daily basis. If you have ever advertised a car for sale, it's all you hear.

stevo2, Apr 1, 6:47am
Go and see the man or phone him at the very least.

seadubya, Apr 1, 6:50am
They have to be pretty competitive just to get you in the yard, plus giving big written discounts to one off customers just bites you in the arse no matter what industry you are in. If you want to own the car, have a chat to the salesperson face to face and find out what it is going to take to close the deal. Don't forget, they have the CGA to cover these days too, so you aren't taking all the risk of a mystery machine when you buy from a dealer.

xs1100, Apr 1, 8:22am
why should you get anything off. have you tried it at pak n save start small and work from there start on your $200.00 a week grocery bill and work up. report back please would be interested in response from pak nsave they probably have a better % mark up than a car dealer

tamarillo, Apr 1, 8:33am
Well pick up the bloody phone. Old fashioned but at least the poor bugger knows you're not just some wanker wasting time.

carclan, Apr 1, 9:34am
Ok, That is frank advice, it will take him 30 secons to reply so if he is not willing to do that then what does it say about the product he is pedling?

carclan, Apr 1, 9:39am
Sorry, the answer is jack shit, as he does not want to sell for cash.

carclan, Apr 1, 9:39am
And I don't want to buy on credit

stevo2, Apr 1, 4:56pm
In an email he does not know who he is dealing with so why would he give you his best price? For all he knows, you could be a dealer down the road with a similar model wanting to know how his pricing structure works.
If you are interested, "Talk to the man"

edbabynz, Apr 1, 5:21pm
Cash is King,
But only if you're talking to the owner, you don't need a receipt and are not expecting any kind of warranty.

clark20, Apr 1, 6:24pm
I am working on getting a $76,000 list redline for under $60,000 new.

tgray, Apr 1, 7:09pm
'You don't need a receipt?'
For your own sake, I wouldn't go down that road.

kazbanz, Apr 1, 7:14pm
If you look in the search function this question has been asked many many times before and there is a lot of very good advice.
In a nutshell though you are asking the wrong question or questions.
The correct question is
-"What is a fair and reasonable price to pay for this vehicle.?" (or perhaps a bit less because I want a bargain)
On that basis then the line of investigation is pretty easy.

kazbanz, Apr 1, 7:17pm
If you look in the search function this question has been asked many many times before and there is a lot of very good advice.
In a nutshell though you are asking the wrong question or questions.
The correct question is
-"What is a fair and reasonable price to pay for this vehicle.?" (or perhaps a bit less because I want a bargain)
On that basis then the line of investigation is pretty easy.
I don't sell new cars but my advice is exactly the same as if you were buying used.
I genuinely feel that asking a generic "how much discount? " is um well pretty silly.
it strongly suggests you have done apsolutely zero market research.
Sorry I am not meaning to insult you but you really do need to put in some legwork to get the very best deal you can.
First of all I must tell you that a $52000 ticketed car will cost you $52500 to $54000 depending on the dealerships ORC (the little tiny box in the corner of the advert)
Second question would be how long has that particular vehicle been available?
Third When is the new model due to be released?
fourth Has the vehicle already been discounted?
fifth--what spec level is it?
Is it a "run of the mill" vehicle or something special.
What are they selling for elsewhere?
All of these factors need to be looked at before making an offer to buy.
Basically ---there is NO generic answer but doing your research will give you the tools to make an educated offer

clark20, Apr 1, 7:36pm
Sorry, thinking about it they are selling at $64000 so I did not get that discount

oakie, Apr 1, 7:50pm
Why should you expect a discount? When at your supermarket do you make an offer?. they would throw you out of the joint, plus I bet if you have a problem with the car you would be back real quick wanting the dealer to fork out
Why not ask the dealer for a price on the car and you will take care of any warranty problems? My bet is you wouldn't have a bar of that. cheapskate

oakie, Apr 1, 7:53pm
what a bloody cheek! I don't blame the dealer for not contacting you. jeez some people!

edbabynz, Apr 1, 8:22pm
It all depends on where the money is coming from and of course where its going.

I was just trying to highlight what a "cash deal" really is. Most people think it's just means you pay with notes instead of plastic.

tiny15, Apr 1, 9:20pm
depends what it 'owes' the dealer. if he traded it in at a high price & then had to spend a bit on it to get it up to standard to sell. i doubt they will sell for a lower price, but if you reverse the above, then they could have room to move on the price.
At the end of the day everybody needs to make a buck$$ to survive. even used car sales people

carstauranga001, Apr 1, 10:28pm
I get heaps of emails with one liner questions usually off Trade Me listings. I always reply and 99% never contact me again. Even with a follow up email a few days later. But an email with a contact number or even bertter a buyer phoning me commonly results in a sale. There's the pattern and forgive us for thinking the worst but that's how it works. I think people sit on line at night firing questions off willy nilly on multipul cars they will never buy. Someone who phones is serious. Give them a call, how hard is that?

stevo2, Apr 2, 4:33am
Exactly.