With the "SUV" pupularity , why can't I buy.

Page 2 / 2
johotech, May 9, 6:16am
Seriously sounds like a mid life crisis. You really want something sporty, but you know you need something bigger.

Just get what your wife wants and stop over analysing it.

ianab, May 9, 6:20am
Not driven one either, but have that same engine in my Blade, which is basically an 07 Corolla. It's not boring ;-) And not too bad on gas as long as you drive sedately.

The RAV4 is going to be slightly heavier, so not quite as quick, and use a little more gas, but I can't see it being boring to drive.

gman35, May 9, 8:50am
OK , All I want is a "higher" car to be able to more easily visit a couple of friends which now have bach's with poor access roads, that my Mazda 3 hatch definitely does not like.
And my wife likes the idea of the higher-set seats that the SUV style gives.
But for our 99% of the time ChCh city driving (when you can find a smooth road) just a nice sedan/hatch style is all we need , without the extra 4wd hardware also.
So for a compromise of uses a light "4wd style" body & chassis is ideal but with a nice engine and handling as I still want to "feel the road".
From what I see not many such vehicles are made this side of a BMX X5 / Audi SQ5 etc.
Re Diesel , and my comment about the Skoda TD wagon , as another poster has said about the power delivery, it just is not enjoyable and is "blunt" in comparison.
And how most company rep's can enjoy long open road trips in a Captiva or IXwhatever Hyundai after once driving a nice handling Mondeo or Mazda 6 etc is beyond me.

edangus, May 9, 12:43pm
To be honest I thought the CX7 was a nicer drive than the Outlander. but the boot was not suitable and the Outlander deal was more beneficial. Whatever you do stay away from the Dodge Nitro. Thirsty pig that has the worst handling I have ever experienced.

marmar1, May 9, 7:58pm
Subaru outback could be the car for you after reading your posts.

tamarillo, May 10, 6:19pm
Answer. Why would they make it and why? A soft reader is by design going to steer handle and road hold worse than a sedan, wagon, hatch. So adding performance is not really good idea. There is a few Europeans in this sector but as you say they are expensive and rare here.
Maybe best ones on used market here are big engined BMW X3 either the three litre petrol or twin turbo diesel though they are bloody expensive.
Mazda had the cx7 with turbo petrol but it bombed here. Buyers didn't want the power at expense of economy.

sport_billy, May 10, 9:05pm
Try a 3.6 Outback. Good size, higher seating/ride height, drives well, capable off the road, very quick with plenty of get up and go. Chose one over the 3.5 Vanguard

meow_mix, May 11, 3:59am
What about a second hand Mitsi Airtrek turbo, they have the 4G63 engine similar to an Evo but de-tuned a bit, they come with body kit and a scoop on the bonnet. I think they were made to rival the Subaru Forester.

bashfulbro, May 11, 7:20am
To be honest jazz, i haven`t found mine to be hungry around town, I have a friend with a Highlander, same engine, bigger vehicle, although we haven`t done exact comparisons , his uses more fuel than mine in similar situations.

utwo, May 12, 10:33am
gman35, I hear what you're saying about diesels, but the Mazda SkyActiv diesel is quite unlike most other diesels. Have you test driven one? It has the world's lowest diesel-engine compression ratio and is free revving in nature. https://youtu.be/SZMjbmlYSRM

bigfatmat1, May 12, 11:26am
You can but your budget obviously does not allow. Audi sq5 354hp 20 inch wheels. Porsche Macan 400hp.

kazbanz, Feb 1, 12:12pm
Gman---have a look at a Toyota mark X zio.-they come in all wheel drive
The come in 6 or 7 seater versions but the back seat disappears so well you wouldn't know if you used them as a wagon. --and they don't look like a people mover