With the "SUV" pupularity , why can't I buy.

Page 1 / 2
gman35, May 8, 5:43am
new or used , a "sporty" one ? (when my wife wants to get , and I say "try" our first one). Something like a Mazda CX5 , but with AT LEAST the 2.5 engine , in just the front wheel drive model only. Or a similar-size (even awd) one from another brand that is not a boring sterile diesel !
Why can you not buy a CX5 SP25 / Ford Kuga ST , Honda. forget it , VW Tiguan GTI etc etc etc.
Short of going something German and so much dearer for anything recentish the bigger ones (CX9 / Highlander etc) are just soft puddings that almost bring on seasickness, the Ford Territory drives great but is too big and hungry for our around town 99% of the time use (and they are a reliability/quality lottery).
Am thinking of the previous-model v6 Outlander and putting up with the rubbish bin interior.
It's not like there are any other interesting alternatives in the "MPV" style either, or anything barely available for that matter. A recent-shape Honda Odyssey **if they did it with the old 3l v6 would have been an option.
Maybe I will have to convince her that a decent med-large Hatch/wagon is still the only choice for someone interested in driving still.

vtecintegra, May 8, 5:51am
The CX5 can come with the same 2.5 as the 3 SP25 and the higher powered Tiguan TSI isn't bad

twink19, May 8, 5:52am
Kia Sportage, Honda make a soft roader

thejazzpianoma, May 8, 7:07am
CC rating is no longer a useful measure of performance.
VW's 1.4 litre engine is more powerful that most contemporary 2.0 engines and replaces their own 2.0 engine. (with their 2.0TSI then replacing larger engine options in turn)

The Tiguan can be had with a 2.0 TSI outputting 132KW with a 7 speed DSG (About the same as the SP25 option you wanted, but with a more efficient transmission). The Tiguan is not a hard core speed machine but matches the performance of a MK4 Golf GTI or 2.0 Alfa 156 so I think it's more than fair to call that sporting performance.

Can't say I have looked in to it, but I would expect there will be the usual plethora of bolt on or software based performance upgrades available to suit that version of the 2.0 TSI as well.

vtecintegra, May 8, 7:17am
Also the Ecoboost Kuga has 178kw - that's not a lot less than a Focus ST

stevo2, May 8, 7:50am
Have you actually driven a new Common Rail Diesel?

vtecintegra, May 8, 7:54am
While diesels are better than ever they're still hardly sporty in the power delivery department.

gman35, May 8, 8:43am
Yes , #7 please meet #8. I just can't sorry.
I realise that the ever increasing amount of automatic vehicles have removed enough of the soul and feel of motoring, so I am buggered if I am going to let Dr. Rudolph's mode of power blunt it further.

delerium1, May 8, 8:53am
B18c made by Honda from 1996 149 Kw. These figures are not that impressive.

gman35, May 8, 9:20am
In response to your question #7 , I have driven a 2010ish D Skoda Wagon. The owner told me to take it for a drive and give it a bootfull in 2nd gear while just crawling along, I was indeed amazed at the pace of acceleration. However I was also amazed later on at how I was still alongside a car travelling at 90kph which I thought I had passed on the very same bit of open road about 30sec ago !
I could not believe how the car initially gathered speed then had a tea break at about 3500rpm ! So everything that is "intuitive" or expected, is out the window with diesel's it appears.
I do not drive cars hard at all and pride myself in driving very smoothly in acceleration, braking and cornering so I am not talking here about screwing an engine up to 8000rpm at all , but there is just no joy in not hearing and feeling the "buzz" of a nicely tuned petrol I think.

franken1, May 8, 9:27am
Buy a push bike.

gman35, May 8, 9:33am
Great idea for everyone !
(you saw my "profile" I assume?)

brapbrap8, May 8, 10:33am
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/nissan-juke-r-first-drive-review
A Juke R would tick your boxes, 485hp, 3.7sec 0-100.
Would be much cheaper to just buy an Audi SQ5 though!

vtecintegra, May 8, 7:26pm
Sure but it also didn't deliver that power in a way suitable for an SUV (or even CUV). I love the old DOHC VTEC B series but I wouldn't want one in a CRV of Tiguan tyow of vehicle.

alfa13, May 8, 7:40pm
Kia Sportage

mopsy3, May 8, 10:31pm
We have had a run of CX5's with timing chains and turbo issues. Almost as bad as Captivas with their timing chains. Good for mechanics, bad for owners.

ianab, May 9, 2:03am
I see someone has already pointed you are a Toyota Vanguard?

Basically a long wheelbase Rav4 with a 3.5l V6 from a Highlander. Should have some get up and go.

bashfulbro, May 9, 2:14am
Sure has, plenty of get up and go, but far more economical than the Highlander .They are hard to fault, although early days yet, i have only had mine a couple of months, but i`ve owned enough vehicles to know a good one.

gman35, May 9, 2:56am
Yes , Know of them but not driven one, but assume they won't be a "boat" like the Highlander.
Are they all full-time 4wd only ?
Are they more "fun to drive" than what a 2002ish model Corolla is ? because they almost send me into a coma.

thejazzpianoma, May 9, 3:01am
I think you and ianab might have missed the bit where they didn't want something "hungry around town".

richardmayes, May 9, 3:51am
They want an SUV with performance. They're getting "hungry around town."

Big / fast / economical <-- pick any two.

brapbrap8, May 9, 4:26am
Unless they went for a euro diesel, but they don't want that either.

gman35, May 9, 5:25am
Juke ? , I just couldn't drive one undisguised (but isn't that "GTR" one they built insane !)
Outlander - looking the most likely as can just be 2wd most of the time and a good sized vehicle for us.
The CX7's apparently drive very well also (most modern Mazda's do) but hear they are "very thirsty regardless of how carefully are driven" ?

thejazzpianoma, May 9, 6:01am
I don't think they were particularly worried about it being especially large.

skiff1, May 9, 6:10am
I don't get this thread? You want an SUV, but it has to not be like an SUV? Why not get a hot hatch or a sporty type car if that's what you want? When I buy a tractor, I expect it to be a tractor. I find I get less disappointment and the shopping process is easier.
As for your dislike if diesels, you don't know what you are missing nowadays.