Toyota avensis such low miles

tamarillo, Jul 31, 11:29pm
Friends interested in an avensis saloon. It's real basic with steel wheels and plastic hubcaps, and only a 4 speed box. Not my choice.
It's got very low miles (50,000 km) for a 2007, and we've noticed lots of them have very lowkilometres.
Any known reason? Problem? Are they maybe city fleet, government cars so will have many hours but few miles?
I believe it's made in UK and exported to Japan.

kazbanz, Aug 1, 12:32am
Wbhich engine? 2.0l D4 or 2.4 or 1.8?

attitudedesignz, Aug 1, 1:17am
When I was car shopping I was looking at them but do ya think I could find one without the D4.

tamarillo, Aug 1, 2:13am
k

2 litre Kaz. It was adequate power for them, and they don't do lot of open road so are relaxed about 4 speed.
Also found them a nelson new 1 onr civic sedan 08, which I felt was a much better car but they have strong liking of Toyota for reliability, hence this thing. Their perception is that Camry and mark X too big, and hatches too small.

kazbanz, Aug 1, 2:19am
Don't buy a 2.0l D4 Toyota.
Options from Toyota are
1) Avensis 2.4
2)corolla sedan
3)Premio sedan.
All same size as the civic.
They may be thinking of the old starlet HB etc.
In the 06-08 age theres the Auris.

tamarillo, Aug 1, 3:23am
Kaz, can you quickly tell me why so I can tell them? Is it a bad motor?
Does the caldina use same engine?
Still think they should buy the civic.

tuttyclan, Aug 1, 4:02am
I'd go for the Civic if it was me.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 1, 4:26am
You need to tell them that the Civic is far far less likely to have an expensive mechanical problem than the Avensis.

kazbanz, Aug 1, 4:28am
The 2.0l is a D4 engine--Think Mirtzi GDI and all the issues they had--same idea but 2.0 Toyota.
Would be all good in Japan with good fuel--our rubbish gas and the engine clogs up

thejazzpianoma, Aug 1, 4:53am
Sorry this was a bit blunt, the phone rang so I just hit send. The Avensis in my opinion is OK for reliability if it is properly serviced and the correct fuel, oil etc used. However, realistically it's not a super reliable car, no better than a sophisticated European vehicle, so you may as well have the better vehicle to go with the level of reliability in my opinion.

Silly thing is, they turned down the Fiat because they were worried about service agents and reliability etc, when that really is a properly basic and reliable vehicle. If simple is what they want, I would suggest a Fiat Grande Punto, well under budget, ultra basic 8 valve engine, ultra low maintenance. It's more like the 90's Toyota stuff they are used to, just with a safer body shell, galvanising and a better transmission.

Best of luck with it.

jmma, Aug 1, 5:00am
Can't argue with that (o:

tamarillo, Aug 1, 5:30am
We can and we will.

bryshaw, Aug 1, 10:41am
I would go with a Civic for general reliability.

gman35, Aug 1, 10:51am
The mileage will most probably be spot on. The past owners have literally turned the ignition key, then fell asleep due to the sheer boring numbness of a Toyota.
They awoke with enough energy to just drive back into the garage each time ?

cognition, Aug 4, 12:09am
I could very well be wrong (please do correct me in that case), but from what I've seen, many (if not all) of the Avensis with 2.4 motor (2003-2008) are also D4s. Seems the only Avensis without a D4 Engine between the aforementioned years (being 2003-2008) would be a Avensis "GL" with 1.8 motor.

kazbanz, Nov 21, 10:26am
cognition--in a nutshell--the 2.0l D4 is the engine that gives issues.