Problems backing a city bus into it's parking bay

2sheddies, Jun 18, 9:43am
http://i.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/69457515/13-crashes-at-new-christchurch-bus-exchange

Really? Bet this will give munchy and co a laugh. Hate to think how these guys would ever cope if they switched to driving trucks and were asked to back a near 20m long B Train using only the mirrors. Hehe!

afer_daily, Jun 18, 10:07am
" objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear "

henderson_guy, Jun 18, 10:16am
Lol I've had a 23m T&T unit into a residential driveway with about 4 inches to spare, off a main road in South Auckland. The problem with the bus drivers is that a lot of them have spent 20+ years of driving nothing bigger than a little hatchback and all of a sudden they're in long buses with a huge ass on them. There's not a lot of money to be made driving a bus, and it's a pretty terrible job to boot, so it tends not to bring out the greatest drivers.

2sheddies, Jun 18, 10:31am
So, true lol. They also mostly lack the attitude of professional drivers. They're nowhere near the same ballpark as a good truckie.

brapbrap8, Jun 18, 10:58am
Agreed with henderson_guy.
The difference between truckies and bus drivers is that truckies are actually passionate about their machinery and driving, they get all horny for the sound of a jake brake and big exhaust stacks on a nice down hill.

Bus drivers just jump in and steer. They like automatic transmissions, drivetrains designed for economy around town and not to scare old ladies.

I see lots of young guys who are new to driving trucks who can't back for anything, soon enough they have got pretty good at it though.

Notable exception for truckies is Fonterra tanker drivers, they are not even allowed to reverse their trucks, I know some transport companies actually have policies that they won't hire ex tanker drivers so tanker drivers usually end up doing line haul jobs where little or no backing is needed.

2sheddies, Jun 18, 11:28am
If you have an interest in trucks and driving in general, it's awesome to watch an experienced truckie backing and manoevering his truck into places. watching every little movement of the steerers and seeing how the trailer(s) respond etc etc. Great skill. As is properly using a manual Roadranger.

Always remember hearing second hand that the boss of one well known transport outfit apparently wouldn't hire a new driver unless they could demonstrate their ability to back a T&T unit properly on the mirrors. The minute they looked out the rear or side window, they were finished! No good!

sas777, Jun 18, 1:42pm
That boss would never have passed his HGV test in the UK then. When I took mine, whilst reversing the semi into it's little road cone garage, I was encouraged to look backwards, forwards, sideways, hang out of the door, check all mirrors at once, you name it.
Was taught that way as you always have a small blind spot somewhere.

2sheddies, Jun 18, 5:23pm
He was merely making certain they could back on the mirrors alone as a basic skill test. which he believed every truckie worth his salt should have no trouble coping with. Wasn't saying they would be forbidden to ever look out the rear window.

Besides, it's no use looking out the back window in a truck with a curtainsider or bulk tipper body or one with a sleeper cab.

nzoomed, Jun 19, 12:19am
ROTFL!
I could see this would happen after the opening of the exchange!

Read the following quote!

"There have been 13 crashes at the new Christchurch bus exchange since it opened in May "

sas777, Jun 19, 3:34am
Oh I see, sorry, thought you meant he was a control Nazi.

richardmayes, Jun 19, 3:41am
I watched a cab + 2 trailers (whatever you call that?!) being backed up the ramp and straight into the correct parking lane on the old Lynx fast ferry years ago. he took it pretty slowly, but it went straight in first go. The lane would have been less than half a metre wider than the truck. Pretty clever.

2sheddies, Jun 19, 4:17am
Yeah, it's great fun to watch. some non motoring people would think we're mad haha!

That would have been a B Train there. :-)

2sheddies, Jun 19, 4:27am
No problem mate. What you're saying is quite correct and I fully agree. Besides, the UK have always had tougher standards even for car licences. tis why so many Kiwis are hopeless drivers. On reading it back, my reply came across a bit more bluntly than I would have preferred. apologies.

piperguy, Jun 19, 4:59am
I work across the road from Ullrich. Love to watch the guys come in with two trailers attached. No idea how your brain copes with two pivot points. In awe of those guys / girls

truckr, Jun 20, 12:23pm
i miss a roadranger i drive a auto for the first time easy as but slow as shit and lets you down on hills

truckr, May 23, 1:00am
yeah makes you laugh when they go on about how professional their drivers are when they need a permit to back their trailers and the rest of us are taking 9 axle units into places that were made for 6 wheelers or truck and trailers with 6 or 7 axles