7 seater recommendations please

tjk1001, Jul 21, 6:42am
Does anyone have any recommendations for a 7 seater up to 25k, diesel (or economical petrol) I like the Dodge journey, but not many diesel ones around.

I have only had my current car for a year but the logistics of 3 carseats in a station wagon are too hard.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 21, 6:43am
Mercedes Viano, built super tough, cheap to run, super low maintenance and parts are easy to get and affordable.

monaro17, Jul 21, 6:57am
It is quite big though isn't it- regardless of what some may say it's practically a shuttle bus not a family van.

two9s, Jul 21, 7:26am
No seven seater is going to have the footprint of a mini!

thejazzpianoma, Jul 21, 7:33am
The standard length one is actually shorter than the Dodge Journey they are looking at. It's just a more efficient shape.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 21, 7:35am
True, you either have to go for something like the VW Touran (which is amazing in terms of space for it's size) where you lose out on boot space with all 7 seats in use. Or. you go for something like the Viano. Plenty of couriers drive Vito's (Commercial version of Viano) through heavy congested city's the world around. They are pretty manoeuvrable for what they are.

johotech, Jul 21, 7:41am
So let's say I'm the OP. Just had a great recommendation from Jazz.
Quick search on TradeMe.
16 Viano's available.
1 of them is diesel. 10 year old and 273k - Would I pay $22k for that? Maybe no.
Nearly all of the other 15 available are the remarkably economical 3.5L petrol engine, which is rated as 2 stars by Energywise. If I'm lucky, I could get a 5-9 year old one for my $25k.

Now, which one should I choose?

tjk1001, Jul 21, 7:51am
Thank you, will have a look at the viano, might look less shuttle bus in person!

johotech, Jul 21, 7:57am
**Please note: My previous posts could contain traces of sarcasm**

buyit59, Jul 21, 8:25am
Try Honda Edix ( yes only 6 seats but nice and wide). or a Fiat Multipla ( just for Jazz)

kazbanz, Jul 21, 9:05am
Tjk--two suggestions for you.
1) Honda Edix -6 seater 2.0l Vtec.-it is set up specifically to solve your problem.
2)Toyota Sienta 1500 VVYi --they are amazing vehicles. More real world room than other bigger people movers and really economical.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 21, 7:44pm
They do look a bit shuttle bus, but for practical purposes they do not have any bigger footprint than the Dodge. With 7 seaters, regardless of brand it is a bit of a choice between a practical space with lots of room for luggage and something that looks more car like. It's just how it goes.

Yes you may have to wait a little if you really want a Diesel one. But you are spending a lot of coin and if that's the best vehicle for the job I would have thought it worth waiting a few weeks. They do come up in Diesel regularly in your price range.

It's your money and your decision, as someone who also owns some very pretty cars it's not for me to judge what's most important, you want to be driving something you are going to enjoy.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 21, 7:46pm
The Edix is a bit like the conundrum above. It's like they wanted the practicality of the Multipla, but were desperate to make it look "mainstream" the result is a serious compromise in terms of practicality.

It may seem great to someone who has never owned a Multipla, but for someone who has it's a poor attempt. Seats are not all full sized, less load space, no where near as practical in terms of what you can carry. Visibility and manoeuvrability isn't as good. Almost all the "multipurposeness" is ruined. But hey, it looks like everyone else's car so if that is worth the sacrifice.

grangies, Jul 21, 8:23pm
Buy one of the few diesel Dodge Journey's that "are" around. Problem solved LOL.

skull, Jul 21, 8:27pm
The sacrifice with the Multipla is that it looks like NOBODY else's car even though it is way more practical than the Edix. It's not a lot of consolation knowing you have the most practical vehicle but find yourself unable to encourage 6 other persons to hop into it and "enjoy" it with you.

klrider, Jul 21, 8:40pm
Territory is a good option too. Ive had two, done plenty of K's, towed a boat up and down the country, falcon based so parts are everywhere. Just bought later model and love it. I compared the Highlander, CX9, Dodge and Territory. After conparisens I would have gone for Highlander or Territory depending on the deal in the end. Dont buy one to save gas. There are also the more off road options if that lights your pipe, Pajero and Prado.

ftorres, Jul 22, 8:51pm
dodge journey has one of the biggest loss in depreciation, ask a lease company

kazbanz, Jul 22, 10:23pm
all this diatribe from someone who has never owned an Edix.
Proove me wrong but I bet not even ever driven an edix.
ALL seats are full sized and have proper seatbelts. It has a fantastic turning circle.It has as much load space as other 1.5-2.0l station wagons.

tgray, Jul 22, 10:50pm
All respect Jazz, but he does know what he is talking about.

tjk1001, Jul 22, 10:58pm
Thanks for all the suggestions, have to get over the aesthetics and get something practical (although not an edix, it's really weird)
I have a passat at the moment and love it so I'm struggling with the change!

fordcrzy, Jul 23, 12:54am
MAZDA MPV! 2006+

thejazzpianoma, Jul 23, 4:27am
There is a family version of the T5, it's called the "Multivan" I too would have suggested this, but they are a bit thin on the ground compared to the Viano. BTW, the Viano is the same idea, it's a family version of the Vito.

You could certainly use a T5, they are a fantastic vehicle, but they are not generally as luxuriously appointed as the multivan.

kazbanz, Jul 23, 4:56am
tjk-if you NEED 6/7 seats but want something the size of the Passat then I would have a look at the Toyota Wish 1800cc.
Same size as the Passat and not a people mover shape.
Fuel economy is going to be better than the Passat
another option but more people mover shaped is the Honda Stream.