Car suggestions please

freestar5, Jan 31, 11:15am
I currently have a 2001 Mazda Tribute (Ford Escape) 170k 2ltr. I need to be able to tow a covered in trailer for camping - so not that heavy. Me and two teenagers. Use it for work - lots of driving around town and occasional longer trip for work. A couple of 3 hour trips for weekends 8x a year and 2x 8 hr trips a year. Looking at up grading - what's your suggestion?

beachy, Jan 31, 11:35am
Nissan x-trail

jason18, Jan 31, 5:35pm
Late model falcon or holden wagon

mugenb20b, Jan 31, 5:37pm
Ford Kuga, Kia Sorento, Hyundai Santa Fe or Ssangyong Korando diesels.

survivalkiwi, Jan 31, 5:41pm
Obviously a 2015 Range Rover would be perfect.
Comfort ,space and power for towing.

gammelvind, Jan 31, 6:44pm
A budget would be handy? But the 2015 Range Rover sounds good, or how about a 2015 Porsche Cayenne?

robotnik, Jan 31, 7:53pm
Ford Ranger double cab 4x4 pickup truck. This has more cred than an SUV.

franc123, Jan 31, 7:54pm
Budget, how concerned you are about fuel economy, how much space is needed in the rear and whether all wheel drive is really needed or not really needs to be known first.

survivalkiwi, Jan 31, 8:25pm
Dont be silly. Who would want to be seen in a Porsche Cayenne.
The mercedes m class would also be a good choice. Or a g wagon if you like that older retro look.

msigg, Jan 31, 9:01pm
Second Nissan x-trail

attitudedesignz, Jan 31, 9:10pm
Tick tick tick tick tick tick . -
. waiting for it. -
. -

3tomany, Jan 31, 10:29pm
Ford kuga we have one. Good load space, good economy, comfortable, enough power, only downside was price of tow bar

thejazzpianoma, Jan 31, 11:26pm
Sadly can't pull the pin on the might of Germany until we actually know more about what the OP's needs/budget. I have to at least appear to have considered things before recommending a VW. I mean the best car for the job.

ema1, Feb 1, 4:41am
Pffffffffit . Fizzer

freestar5, Feb 1, 8:39am
Budget up to $20k - definitely need good boot space for sports gear - scooters etc. fuel economy is important for all the driving around town - but I need it grunty enough to pull the trailer and not slow down all the traffic going up the big hills - brendwyns and Bombays :)

brapbrap8, Feb 1, 9:29am
Makes you wonder what that G wagen is like to drive at night, bullbars obstructing the headlights isn't the brightest idea.

tamarillo, Feb 1, 8:56pm
So lady with 2 teens town driving lots and some open road and light trailer with 20,000. Let's assume no desire for fast, flashy, big cars. Needs good economy, but decent space and some power. Kuga is too new so how about vw tigaun. 2 liter golf based soft roader of mid size, enough power without failing to tow trailer, space for teens and trendy as. Must be dealer with warranty or get very well checked.
Any modern 2 liter wagon will happily pull trailer, even a good 1.6 will. If it is big enough look at ford focus wil 2 liter. Good chance of it being nz new which is a bonus, ford parts and servicing, sold world wide with good rep. Great on open road, fantastic steering. And will tow easily. You just don't need a ute, suv, big car to tow these days. So check a focus to see if big enough, it's a great drive. If not try on a vw tigaun.

supernova2, Feb 2, 1:16am
Only point Ii would ask/make about a VW is: Is there a good and economical VW service agent in Whangarei?

3tomany, Feb 2, 2:52am

msigg, Feb 2, 4:25am
Santa Fe, exceptional vehicle, not sure you can get one for your dollars. Ask around.

secca2, Feb 2, 4:35am
cant go passed a Vw, they make the best vehicles in the world, the technology is 2nd to done, fuel economy is unheard of, safe and comfortable to drive, you??

sw20, Feb 2, 4:41am
It's like Jazz without the spelling, grammar or personality.

meow_mix, Feb 2, 5:49am
I'm not sure if this poster is taking the piss, but I couldn't agree less with your comments. "Can't go past a VW", "Best vehicles in the world", err no. VW should be taken to court for the unreliable junk they produce which only lasts five years.

"The technology is second to none", nope. As I pointed out in another thread VW keep building the same shape/model for about 10 years before the model is updated to an all new model, where as Japanese cars are updated about every five years. Who wants to but a brand new German car that has a 10 year old body shape but with some snazzy HID lights shoved in there at facelift time? Not me.

Meanwhile the all-new Accord looks pretty flash, an all-new model after just five years eh, so "The VW technology is second to none" is just bullshit really. Flimsy, dated old body shapes with new lights.

Moving on to "Fuel economy is unheard of", VW cars have good fuel economy because they're so highly strung, try using the wrong 91 fuel and the engine will destroy itself, even on the right fuel it's only a matter of time until the direct injection engine suffers problems. Great when brand new, not so great at 10 years old.

I can continue to take this post appart, I especially liked "You'd be stupid to look at anything else", the sludgebox comment though: There is nothing wrong with an old 4-speed auto, many punters wouldn't appreciate the difference between that and a DSG, at least the 4-speed will be reliable.

3tomany, Jul 11, 7:16pm
after looking at that lot I would buy new mid size suvs are only 34k brand spankers