Buying ex rental cars

Page 2 / 2
kazbanz, Feb 11, 7:16am
Bunny --to clarify. Do you mean ex rental or ex lease?
ex lease usually means its been a corperate use and one driver

grangies, Feb 11, 7:30am
It's impossible because no person who has a drivers license, and is able to rent a car, would drive so far and not know that there are more transmission gear options available.

LOL urban myth .

morrisjvan, Feb 11, 8:10am
because people that hire cars have a licence, and tend to be able to drive !

gsimpson, Feb 11, 8:23am
So you don't read the news about stupid tourists down this way.
Parking in the middle of a frozen sewage pond. That was a good one when the ice broke. lol
eg One gets stopped driving on wrong side of road and argues with cop about it.
Another didn't want to drive on the side with the big drop down to the river.
Ones that have never encountered a manual car before.
I have no reason to doubt my brothers story. End of discussion.

morrisjvan, Feb 11, 9:14am
I have just given you a perfectly good reason to doubt your brothers story!
If the car in question was an auto ,a licensed (or even an unlicensed) driver would put it in D at some stage during the 5 (maybe 10 )hour journey. If the vehicle was a manual they would have to know how to drive to even get it moving ,so therefore they would know that multiple gears were available. try driving a manual as if it was an auto and see how far you get! your brother is ,shall we say ,mistaken.

skiff1, Feb 11, 5:37pm
I have seen very little correlation between having a drivers license and being able to drive in my experience. Even if the first gear FOR x km is urban legend, there is certainly enough evidence of truly shocking driving of rentals to make me highly doubtful about buying one. That said, it's the OP's money, and his risk. He might get a winner.

skiff1, Jun 23, 9:00am
listen here boy! You might want to dial back on calling people dumb, it's not very polite, and might get you in trouble one day.