ONEWA Road Transit Lane - tickets

Page 2 / 2
gedo1, Feb 23, 4:57am
Spot on, johotech!

johotech, Feb 23, 5:01am
Thanks. And the usual maximum travel distance for merging or crossing is 50m, not 40m as other posters suggested.

Good luck with your case. Not sure if this is the best place to round up clients for a class action though ;)

gmphil, Feb 23, 5:14am
hell if if asked wot t3 meant im sure u would have got a different result

gedo1, Feb 23, 5:21am
May be true, johotech, so could use any suggestions you may have to get input from other victims (cringe. I shall probably be sorry I used that word, but it'll do for now LOL! ) Incidentally we are not interested in conducting a class action from this. Given that our client should be successful with this in Court we would like to be able to advise other "victims" of that fact

sr2, Feb 23, 5:36am
The Onewa T3 lane doesn't allow motorbikes.
It does however have 17 side roads, 2 gas stations, 3 schools a lot of shops, and is the main arterial route to the city for Birkenhead, Birkdale and Beachaven. Consensus of opinion from the vast majority of us residents is that it has been a colossal disaster from day one, the only thing about it that works as intended is the multitude of camera carrying hi-vis jacket'd employees who are out there writing tickets every morning!
All it's managed to do is increase congestion by causing an enormous bottleneck, stand 1/2 way down Onewa rd at 7:30 on a work day and you'll see exactly what I mean!

gedo1, Feb 23, 5:53am
Good work! However, our research today says motor cycles are permitted to use Onewa Road Transit lane. quote fro Auckland Transport website
Transit lanes.
A transit lane is reserved for the use of the following vehicles (unless specifically excluded by a sign installed at the start of the lane):
Motor vehicles carrying not less than the number of people (including the driver) specified on the sign, e.g. T2 is for any vehicle that has two or more occupants
Passenger service vehicles (including taxis, regardless of whether or not they are carrying passengers)
Cycles
Motorcycles
Mopeds.
Cheers

sr2, Feb 23, 6:05am
Rubbish mate; try driving a motorbike down it 6:30 to 9:00am Monday to Friday and see what turns up in your letterbox.
If you lane split on your bike the high-vis guys get you for riding in the T3 lane!

Here's one of the signs.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local-news/north-shore-times/7184458/T3-lane-to-stay-says-agency

trouser, Feb 23, 7:21am
And straight from the AT website

Transit lanes

A transit lane is reserved for the use of the following vehicles (unless specifically excluded by a sign installed at the start of the lane):

Motor vehicles carrying not less than the number of people (including the driver) specified on the sign, e.g. T2 is for any vehicle that has two or more occupants
Passenger service vehicles (including taxis, regardless of whether or not they are carrying passengers)
Cycles
Motorcycles
Mopeds.

And then from the Onewa rd T3 site

Transit lanes are managed lanes that increase corridor efficiency by offering predictable travel time for carpool vehicles, buses, motorbikes and cyclists.

Any way there have been a couple of stuff articles about people with children in their cars being 'fined' for apparently being under the occupancy limit.

kazbanz, Feb 23, 7:27am
I think that was successfully contested in court a couple of years back mate--UMM happy to be proven wrong.

sr2, Feb 23, 7:36am
It's my home patch mate, sadly they're still issuing tickets.

socram, Feb 23, 8:15am
A true shambles. SR2's pic is of Lake Rd, which also has a T3 lane because:

"Given the T3 lane and single general traffic lane arrangement on Onewa Rd, the left turn approach from Lake Rd is required to have the same lane configuration," he (Mr Hannan) says.

They admit the T3 is under-utilised.

You'll note no motorcycle on the sign. I'm not sure whether or not the Onewa Rd one is the same, but I presume it is. So the moral is - don't bother getting a motorbike or a small 2 seater to economise or reduce pollution, or congestion, as there is absolutely no point, not around here anyway.

Now they are making a T3 lane in the opposite direction, for the afternoon rush, when all they really needed to do was to clearly mark 2 lanes from Lake Rd and make it a Clearway from 3.00pm - or take a chunk out of the wide footpaths, re-align the lanes and allow parking.

kazbanz, Feb 23, 8:28am
Funny--it used to be my home patch for a couple of years.

daryl14, Feb 23, 9:05am
Samezies.

gedo1, Feb 24, 3:56am
Not sure what you are saying re motorcycles - but they are permitted in the Onewa Road transit lane. cheers.

trouser, Feb 24, 8:20am
Socram.

To be excluded from being able to use any 't' lane a motorcycle symbol would have tol be on the sign. Because there is not symbol on the sign it means motorcycles can use the lane.

I have ridden it many times.

jobsworth, Feb 26, 6:26am
Re motorcycles in T2and T3 lanes. Yes. They are permitted. I have written confirmation of this from the police, who were also confused by the pictures (note they don't show push bikes either). If any motorcyclist is ticketed for it, contact BRONZ Auckland .

fordcrzy, Feb 26, 6:38am
why not just get the sign in sheet from the daycare that shows the drop off time of the other kids? then you can prove by a simple map where the car left from and what time it arrived at the daycare using the T3 lane. if you can prove that there wasnt time to return form the scene of the crime/pick up kids then get to daycare then you have a strong case.

pauldw, Feb 26, 8:20am
In 2008 there was a similar case reported on Stuff. The Council retort was that the crucial evidence was observation by one of the spotters not the video. If they don't have someone in position to see into the vehicle that excuse has gone out the window.

urbanrefugee54, May 26, 7:15pm
when I went through Auckland on the motorbike & was in morning rush hour traffic from Balmoral road to nearly Valley Rd shops, before I realised I could use the bus/transit lane.