Painted diamond on the road

Page 2 / 2
brapbrap8, Jul 12, 7:05am
Won't be long and we will use the system that is more common in Europe where vehicles must give way to pedestrians, cyclists and anyone else.
I think in Holland the law is that the car is always liable regardless of who caused the accident.
I bet they drive careful over there.

richardmayes, Jul 12, 9:57am
I've always been interested in cars and driving as a motorist, and TBH it was only recently that it occurred to me that as a pedestrian the diamond had some significance to me too.

pauldw, Jul 12, 12:17pm
The crossing design manual specifies the diamond should be at least 50m from crossing unless 85 percentile speed is under 50kmh when distance should be safe stopping +5m. Hardly precise placement. In some cases you could be past the diamond and still able to stop. The Road Code often has folksy advice that isn't in the Regulations but the Regs count in Court.

lookoutas, Jul 12, 8:37pm
Perhaps you should look in a mirror mate.
I never mentioned "need" as you did. I used "have"
That means there is no law binding peds/cyclists/Joe Public who wish to use a road, whereas those that use the road have to know the code by law.

I can't ever remember being taught at school, or read about that diamond rule being discussed here. If it's a rule, then it should be taught at school, along with the RH Rule etc.

Calling posters stupid on here, and misquoting them, doesn't do your clout much good.

And by the way:- Thanks to those who have brought this diamond thing up, as now the percentage of my stupidity has decreased.

poppy62, Jul 12, 10:48pm
I was and still am, under the impression that the traffic has the right of way on the roads and the pedestrians the footpaths. When entering or exiting a driveway drivers have to give way to pedestrians on the footpaths . When pedestrians are crossing the road they have to ascertain whether it's safe to do so or not. The look left, look right and look left again (and if clear cross) rule that was /is drummed into kids related to pedestrian crossings, as well as crossing at any other part of the road. What I've seen and is clearly being adopted is that most people at a pedestrian crossing step out, without first checking to see all is clear, deeming it their right to do so and thus throwing the safety responsibility at the drivers. A point to remember is that at any school (patrolled) crossing, the signs do not go up automatically, but are only pushed out when the road is deemed clear and safe to do so.

newtec1, Jul 12, 11:45pm
It is if there is someone walking across it,your choice if you want to continue.

pico42, Jul 12, 11:57pm
Which is why it isn't a compulsory stop. Motorists only have to stop (in fact they don't even have to do that, only give way) if there is a pedestrian.

The previous post implied that motorists have to stop no matter what.

texastwo, Jul 13, 1:00am
I was under the impression that traffic is only obliged to stop if there is no Centre Bay on the crossing,- where pedestrians can wait until the road is clear

lookoutas, Jul 13, 1:49am
As I understand it now - when a driver sees a ped about to enter a crossing, they have to give way/stop. And that means a ped about to cross from the far right, except where there is a Centre Bay, the driver only has to give way once the ped has entered that bay.

franken1, Jul 13, 5:20am
Of course there are laws binding pedestrians and cyclists from using the road. Read the Land Transport (Road User) Rule 2004 for starters.

johotech, Jul 13, 5:37am
This one?:
Entering crossings
A pedestrian or a rider of a mobility device or wheeled recreational device must not suddenly enter a pedestrian crossing when an approaching vehicle is so close to the pedestrian crossing that the driver of the vehicle is unable to give way to the pedestrian or the driver or rider of the device.

johotech, Jul 13, 5:39am
According to 8.2(11)c of the Land Transport Rule Traffic Control Devices 2004, the diamond is:
To inform approaching traffic of the presence of a pedestrian crossing, a road controlling authority, on each approach to the pedestrian crossing - (c) may mark a pedestrian crossing warning marking in the form of a diamond on the road surface.

franken1, Jul 13, 5:52am
That's one rule and given that it is an offence that carries a $35 fine, ignorance of the law by a pedestrian obviously won't wash.

jmma, Jul 13, 5:54am
This is what matters

What children would like drivers to know

Children are not little adults, so don't expect them to act as adults do.
Children, especially those under the age of nine, may not have the skills and abilities needed to be safe in traffic. Be very careful when driving near them.
Young children have narrow vision. This means they may not see vehicles as easily as adults do.
Children have trouble judging the speed of moving vehicles. They may let a slow vehicle pass and try to cross in front of a fast one.
Children often don't understand that it takes time for a vehicle to stop.
Children may have difficulty working out where sounds are coming from.
Because children are small, they often can't see over bushes and parked vehicles. This also means they can't be seen easily by drivers.
Children tend to think about one thing at a time and ignore other things happening around them.
Because children are always on the move, they may have trouble stopping at a kerb and could dart out into traffic.
Children can freeze when they find themselves in danger, instead of taking quick action as an adult might.

poppy62, Jul 13, 6:36am
Hi mate! hope all is well and the Cockles of your heart are warm in this chilly blast. . Might be time to bite the bullet and trade TC in on a Merc with automatic Braking especially good for kids hiding in bushes or behind parked cars. Nice thing about living rural, no Ped/crossings and the kids are too lazy to walk anywhere.

jmma, Jul 13, 6:53am
Good thanks, TC just clocked 270,000k and will still stop for kids, I have 2 eyes unlike some people (o:
Look after yourself (o:

lookoutas, Feb 10, 12:35am
Now that's what I always thought the diamond was about. Nothing to do with how a ped should act.