Painted diamond on the road

Page 1 / 2
3962, Jul 11, 10:44pm
So do these mean nothing to pedestrians any more? Or do pedestrians just not take any notice any more now that cars have to stop for pedestrians at zebra crossing?

pico42, Jul 11, 10:52pm
Cars have always had to give way to pedestrians on pedestrian crossings.
And the incidence of arrogant pedestrians who just walk out without waiting for the car to give way is probably much the same.

2sheddies, Jul 11, 11:06pm
As far as I know, the law hasn't changed. If a car is between the diamond and crossing, they don't have to stop. the pedestrian should wait. Unfortunately, more and more pedestrians nowadays (and motorists come to think of it) don't understand how a zebra crossing is supposed to work. Regardless of whether using a crossing or not, they seem to think they own the roads as well as the footpath and most have no road awareness or judgement of a vehicles speed or stopping ability, believing they have every right to wander straight out in front of moving vehicles without looking, whenever they choose, and leave it up to the motorist to get out of their way.

Courtesy crossings don't help matters either. having two different types of crossing with two differing sets of rules just serves to further befuddle them.

pauldw, Jul 11, 11:31pm
1.5Entering crossings
A pedestrian or a rider of a mobility device or wheeled recreational device must not suddenly enter a pedestrian crossing when an approaching vehicle is so close to the pedestrian crossing that the driver of the vehicle is unable to give way to the pedestrian or the driver or rider of the device.

No mention of diamond road markings having significance. AFAIK the diamond just indicates crossing ahead.

intrade, Jul 11, 11:48pm
http://www.20min.ch/videotv/?cid=0&vid=421145
look carfully at the traffic light and what other pedestrians do.

vtecintegra, Jul 11, 11:56pm
Where did you get that idea?

2sheddies, Jul 12, 12:11am
It's not an idea. It's an unofficial rule for pedestrian safety as I understand it. If a car is inside the diamond, it's beyond safe stopping distance, therefore if a pedestrian suddenly walks up to a crossing, and a car is inside the diamond, they should wait until it's passed.

Although a zebra crossing is a compulsory stop for motorists, in all situations except the above, pedestrians should NEVER simply walk straight out onto it, expecting all the traffic to stop instantly, even when a car is a mere few metres from the crossing, though they very often do.

vtecintegra, Jul 12, 12:15am

pico42, Jul 12, 12:18am
A pedestrian crossing is not a compulsory stop for motorists.

2sheddies, Jul 12, 12:23am
I know I either read or was told that about the diamond. It warns motorists about a crossing ahead, but pedestrians should never walk onto one when a car is inside it.

letitia, Jul 12, 12:23am
I've had a look at the on-line road code and can see nothing about the use of white diamonds on the road. Where is it written in the road code? Can you point me in the right direction or quote the relevant piece. I'm genuinely interested.

2sheddies, Jul 12, 12:32am
True. I meant to say pedestrians have right of way.

msigg, Jul 12, 1:05am
Yes 2sheddies is correct, however, nowdays the onus is upon the driver of the vehicle to stop, most people wound not know or are unaware of the older diamond rule, so the onus is on the car to stop, at the end of the day if you run over someone you are going to get done by the police and courts,, a life is worth more than anything else. No butts.

danchop, Jul 12, 1:56am
the diamond thing was in the roadcode when i sat my licence back in the early 80s,dont think many people know the reasons about what the diamond used to mean because a lot of zebra crossings dont even have the diamond there anymore

3962, Jul 12, 3:49am
Oh, ok. yea, I got my licence back in the '80s too & it was in the road code then regarding, not to cross if traffic was between diamond & crossing because of stopping distance. As a pedestrian monitor back in school, ( Signs out, cross now) we were also told not to put signs out if cars were inside the diamond. Stopping distances must be better nowadays with most cars being 4 wheel disc & peoples' reaction time.

jmma, Jul 12, 5:22am
Why would a pedestrian, say primary school kids, know whats in the road code? :oP

lookoutas, Jul 12, 5:55am
That's exactly what I was thinking. They don't have to know the road rules.

Never heard of that diamond rule before.

franken1, Jul 12, 6:19am
So pedestrians can wander down the motorway can they.

mojo49, Jul 12, 6:24am
The diamond rule has been in existence for well over 50 years, Anyone who got their licence less than a couple of years ago should know it. Recently the law changed to say that if a driver can see some-one waiting to use a crossing they must stop and let the person cross. My understanding is that over-rides the diamond rule, so if some-one steps up to a crossing even when the car has passed the diamond you have to give way to the pedestrian. Just another nanny state rule taking responsibility away from people who think they can look at a phone screen and watch for traffic at the same time at a pedestrian crossing.

ferntown, Jul 12, 6:24am
I got my licence back in the '70s, and it was in the road code regarding the use of the painted diamond as a pointer as to your obligation to stop and allow waiting pedestrians to cross.

Unfortunately there does appear to be a lot of busy, impatient people nowadays with for example pedestrians here in the busy main street of Pukekohe just walking out in front of cars.
Many of these pedestrians are too busy looking down at their phones or busy chatting; few of them look to see what??

jmma, Jul 12, 6:29am

ignition328, Jul 12, 6:43am
Pukekohe has a lot of "courtesy crossings", People will often stop if you signal intention to cross though. It's the highschoolers and smartass kids who run out or play the "how long can I make you wait while looking staunch as possible" game that make it frustrating. The street would actually be kinda ok aside from those numbnuts. I had one that made me stop then spat on my car and swore at me while making me stay in place; what he was too stupid to see was the cop car coming the other way. He got a free ride in a cop car lol.

lookoutas, Jul 12, 6:47am
Obviously you don't know, seeing as you ask a question like that. So I will tell you they can't.

Thanks for proving my point.

2sheddies, Jul 12, 6:57am
You're right there. Everything pretty much falls back on the motorist these days. Just means you have to be extra aware of your surroundings, and those who are less aware. People on foot are no different to other motorists really. erratic and unpredictable and you have to be ready for anything.

franken1, Jul 12, 6:58am
I'm simply pointing out the stupidity of suggesting that pedestrians don't need to know the road rules. It obviously flew over your head.