Honda Vigor "92 with abs, TOTAL brakes failure!

Page 2 / 2
yz490, Sep 2, 10:46am
not sure about that. I tend to--if all else fails then read the instructions. Think i read that the pump does it for you, which i how i found the pump wasn't 'pumping' due to a broken drive pin. Said about a special tool which was a long t-bar hollow tube come socket that fitted over the nipple to undo it but sealed to send the fluid which should be under pressure up the tube into a catch bottle. I sorted a spanner to fit with a clear tube straight on & worked good but drinks fluid real fast so have to keep up with the topping up till your happy.

yz490, Sep 2, 11:01am
Hi, no sorry i never had a manual but ebay is a likely source. There's forum around in the US i think covering them & they seem to be called Acura Vigor, might be talking 2.5 rather than 2 litre but same motor bar the stroke--or bore & stroke. Have a 2.5 every day car & hell you wouldn't believe the difference an extra 500cc makes. 2 litre is better around town i think, just because it's lazier where the 2.5 takes off to quick and have to 'realy' soft pedal it in traffic but i tend to sit it in second as then it starts off in second & holds, which is ok till you get up a bit too far in the revs for comfort--ok in slow stop start traffic! . Same applies to the 2 litre if you want it more sedate.

yz490, Sep 2, 11:12am
Meant to add, they're not easy to get the motor out of. Think you're meant to unbolt everything up front & underneath then basicaly lift the car up & pull the motor & subframe assembly away from the car [someone will know]. I got the motor out through the top but wouldn't do it again [gettin too old]. The motor i got from NewPlymouth was a bit later & had no ballancer. It goes well but lacks the same torque as the old farm dungga 2 litre & think the difference is the 'black top motor' compared to 'non' black top', just from reading forums! , goes good though for the kids car, steers better than the good 2.5--aint that often the way.

yz490, Sep 2, 11:23am
But wait--there's more lol. On the what we'll call the farm 2 litre that broke a cam belt--i left the ballancer belt off as didn't like my chances of guessing the order of timing it. Made no obvious difference or vibration so not worried. Hoping everything else is still getting oil which it seems to be--nothing's changed. They're a bugger for leaking oil past the o rings where the distributor fits into the end of the head too. Haven't done a seal in the distributor yet as each time it's just been the o rings on the alloy tube the that carries the o rings. Found accidentaly once that looking at the tube internaly it looks tapered so fitted it in the direction that stood more chance of flowing any oil away & back to the motor--wider end towards the motor type thing.

dave653, Sep 4, 12:10am
Thanks. My one had all belts and water pump replaced not long before I bought it. only receipt the old owner had. Strange since he had it 15 years.
I've had the inlet off to replace the (what I thought) crook oil pressure sender, and changed oil and filter, cleaned manifold and throttle body which made it run better. Not looking forward to removing the whole lot though.

yz490, Sep 4, 4:05am
Yes, my dunggy one has an oil light problem [hope],since taking the dash out & swapping gauges over into other car due to speedo having stop & go days & tacho only going to 1k rpm. Wasn't worried about that but speedo became annoying. Light stays on rather than off but has off moments randomly. No bad noises so keep on truckin. My Vigor Fetish started by accident when i was given one with a run bigend [as it happens]. had been parked for ages & looked like something had attacked the paint on the boot lid which was against the fence with railway on other side. Shame as it was mint green fleck colour. Drove it home from town at a fast idle about 12 years ago & though man this is a nice car & must've been great in their day. Pulled motor apart but parts were difficult to find plus very expensive & the crank was stuffed. So went & bought a good one in the end. Plus i was told the stuffed one was a 2.5 which i discovered it wasn't when i started measuring things up, so bought a 2.5 anyway & have the field covered now lol. Google for related forums--plenty out there.

dave653, Sep 9, 2:29am
Just purchaced a full manual. over 1000 pages!
From here: http://www.autorepairmanuals.biz/product/61SL500
Not cheap (whole lot less than the local Honda agents! ) but will have everything needed! (I hope)

yz490, Sep 9, 10:11am
Let's know how it goes. I had to make up a tool to hold the crank pulley to crack the bolt free. Was damn tight as probably never been off--just tight to free, ok after that to wind out. Good luck.

dave653, Sep 9, 10:37am
Yeh, hoping like hell the cranks not rooted. Didn't make noise for very long. minutes, but can buy new for $1100US. (pleeease nooo)
Loads of new parts here: http://jp-carparts.com/howtobuy.php

dave653, Sep 9, 10:38am
Missus is giving me greif about 'having another waste of money on the lawn'. But it really is too good not to.

yz490, Sep 10, 9:14am
Although i'm keen on them & surrounded by them lol, they're not worth a lot nowdays so buying new parts [crank etc] could easily get outa hand. Might be better to get a known good motor off trademe or an import motor. Silver top motor i got for one of mine that had broken a rod has been ok & is a bit later with no ballancer fitted. Car in the story up top i bought with a stripped diff head spline where the auto shaft fis in. Had a spare diff but through changes they must've made through the models one of the diff mounting bolts didn't line up by too far to do anything about it--so left it out. Now i'm worried--10 years later lol. Obviously she's a good car & you want to do it right! . Re the lawn--more cars & less lawn to mow! .

dave653, Sep 12, 4:21am
Just had an email from the manual supplier. They have 'got the postage wrong as they didn't realise it was going to cost so much', and want another $40US. I have replied in a fashionable manor. get stuffed, and am awaiting thier reply. he he. They aren't the only ones that can supply it for me. us.

dave653, May 23, 11:18am
Manual arrived, they saw things my way. Two books around an inch and a half thick! You were right about being a bit difficult to yank the engine out. 6 pages on stuff to remove before bolting the chain on! What the hell have I got meself in to!