1989 mazda family goes/stops

james63, Aug 16, 1:25am
Hi there mazda is a carburettored model with electronic distributor. car currently has a mind of its own i have checked fuel at carby and it is spraying fuel down into the intake and spark to plugs is there one min gone the next. car runs fine when it starts but will only run for a few mins sometimes shorter sometimes longer then just dies out. any suggestions appreciated as to what it could be? cheers

andy61, Aug 16, 1:42am
Have you checked/tested the ignition module?,common for breaking down with age.

james63, Aug 16, 1:46am
ah thank you if your referring to that plastic piece with wires running into it under the distributor and behind the rotor i think thats it. will replace cheers

ozz1, Aug 16, 3:31am
pretty commom fault with bg mazda. ignition module

james63, Sep 3, 8:49pm
big thumbs up to ozz1 and andy61 changed ignition module a couple of weeks ago now and cars still racing around haven't missed a beat. big thanks!

melonhead1, Sep 3, 10:00pm
Oh that dastardly ignition module. How many times did that strand someone I know. Fark.

intrade, Sep 3, 10:38pm
ignition module dont come back to live if they are nuked from neglecting to change sparkplugs and wires,
spark has to go somwhere and if the path to the plugs has to high resistence the sparks go back to nuke the electronics instead.

So i hope you changed plugs and wires also.
and distributor cap with all new parts

franc123, Aug 3, 2:39am
This can't be stressed enough, you MUST get the rest of the system checked by someone who knows how much wear is too much, or preferably renewed. The coil could well be next to die if you don't.