Colour of diesel?

fordluva, Jan 13, 1:23am
crazy question I know but does anyone here know the colour of Z's Diesel fuel? the young fulla took his petrol ute in early this morning and chucked $20 in his tank, went to pay for it and they told him it was diesel, now although I wouldnt put it past him he parked the ute up at the servo and we towed it home whilst hes at work, I drained the tank from the drain plug and would have only got just over 20 litres out (the guage is shot so Id say hes bloody lucky there if nothing else), thing is with the price of diesel at the moment I would say 95% should be diesel if thats the case, but it sure doesnt smell like it, smells exactly as it should IMHO and its red in colour, I know 95 octane has a yellow tinge to it and thought 91 was red? not sure what he normally runs in it by the way but Im assuming 91.

daryl14, Jan 13, 2:14am
Diesel oily between the fingers. Petrol not.

intrade, Jan 13, 2:15am
rub a bit between your fingers if any form of lubrication can be detected then its diesel. having said that i had diesel that was almost like petrol with almost no lube when i done tests with ulsd diesel. you cant go by colour fuel is clear and the colour is what they add to the fuel

mrfxit, Jan 13, 2:17am
Plus petrol will PULL the oil out of your fingers after it drys

If thats 95% diesel you have there, then a small sample pot tested for ignition will light & burn slow when compared to straight petrol,
Be safe, not silly

intrade, Jan 13, 2:19am
especially at 30 degrees outside petrol is highly explosive

youngones2, Jan 13, 2:44am
Filled up at z this arvo and it is a greenish colour.

brapbrap8, Jan 13, 2:47am
Another reason to use the pay at the pump at Z, it asks you to select what type of fuel you need before you fill up.

supernova2, Jan 13, 4:26am
Dont know if this would work but shake it up in a bottle. Diesel foams but must admit have never bothered to consider what petrol might do. Also petrol evaporates quickly diesel says around for ever as its an oil. Red sounds like petrol to me.

jmma, Jan 13, 4:34am
Must have different ones at all our Z's in the lower north Island, Ours don't ask that.

budgel, Jan 13, 8:51pm
Diesel has almost no taste, petrol burns your mouth.

Dont ask how I know this.

exwesty, Jan 13, 10:34pm
The fuel receipt will tell the story. Or ring them and ask them to check the transaction for the pump at that time.

mrfxit, Jan 14, 12:23am
Hate both that way (also, don't ask)

motorboy2011, Jan 14, 4:14am
Petrol will light on fire.

smac, Jan 14, 4:19am
Only if they got the right pump. If it's petrol I'd say the whole issue is they thought he was on a different pump than he was charged for.

next-to-normal, Jan 26, 5:18pm
probably told the other guy he got petrol in his diesel