Reconditioned Motors

mel2721, Jul 21, 5:29am
My daughter is looking at a car that has a reconditioned motor, are they ok?

tintop, Jul 21, 5:37am
What colour is the car ?

Oh - make, model, year information would be helpful too. :)

'Reconditioned' is a grey area - comes in about 50 shades.

Any details on what work was carried out ?

intrade, Jul 21, 5:40am
depends on what they think reconditioned is.
if its got 3000$ worth of reconditioner bills for head work piston sleeves or machined larger. new piston all bearings and every gasket in the engine new.
that is what constitutes a reconditioned engine anything else forget about it you might as well go and pi$$ in the wind.

kiwitrader43, Jul 21, 5:42am
You need to view the original work and parts invoices with mention of the engine number.

a.woodrow, Jul 21, 5:45am
Unless they have receipts to prove it's been reconditioned it most likely hasn't been

mel2721, Jul 21, 6:23am
Had $6000 work done and they have the receipts,its a Rav 4 ,reconditioned motor put in at 137,000 ks and has now done 230,000ks.

intrade, Jul 21, 6:25am
rav 4 manual or automatic? i think they are all permanent 4 weel drive. what year ?

msigg, Jul 21, 6:35am
Yes that will all be good if it's done another 90,00km , they must have overheated the original engine, normally they will do 300km plus without any problems. Always check the cooling system and change the anti corrosion/coolant, not doing that is what buggers engines.

franc123, Jul 21, 7:11am
If they've done that many kms in it since then clearly the quality of the work was ok. If it checks out well otherwise and has been maintained well since it should be a good buy. Bear in mind that another timing belt job is due if it had not been done recently.

budgel, Jul 21, 8:08am
Some are front only 2WD with a big gap where the rear diff would be!

kazbanz, Jan 14, 1:06am
mel2721-personally I would ignore the mention etc of reconditioned engine.-90000km have gone by since then.-it might have never been serviced since or-might have been fastidiously serviced.--Judge what you see in front of you. Get a PP inspection.
DO be aware that the awd rav 4's REALLY drink fuel.