Toyota / Nissan

kazbanz, Feb 13, 8:29am
platz defibnitely YES
Cube definitely NO -actually NO NO NO NOP NO. owner already said it has a mechanical issue.
raum--maybe--actually not a bad car--a corolla 1500 with a different body.
of the three I pick platz but raum worth a look

jmma, Feb 13, 8:29am
No, both Toyota's look like back yard dealers and always be wary when traders like the Nissan say they have dropped the price, usually something wrong and having trouble selling it IMO
ETA Raum been re registered

msigg, Feb 13, 8:48am
The raum looks nice good little car.

franc123, Feb 13, 8:56am
Keep looking.

littlerae1, Feb 13, 9:03am
Thanks kazbanz - I'll arrange a pre-inspection for the Platz :-)

Thanks jmma - I have come across a few cars where it has been re-registered. So is that not a good thing?

Thanks msigg - I like the Raum as well. If things don't work out with the Platz then I'll look into the Raum next.

Thanks franc - I'm still looking. Just didn't' want to waste money on inspections if it wasn't worth looking into.

jmma, Feb 13, 9:11am
It means it was de registered for some reason.

2014-Dec-18 Pre-registration Check
24 Km/day
132,343 Km

tamarillo, Feb 13, 9:22am
All of them are Japanese domestic market models. Not sold anywhere else and not made for our road conditions.
Parts will only be from importers and body parts for the first two might be really hard to find.
The last one at least is a version of a normal Toyota.
This might not worry you, so ignore me, but maybe you didn't know.

jmma, Feb 13, 9:31am
You can't be serious about only getting parts from importers, surely?

kazbanz, Feb 13, 9:45am
So you are saying that parts will NOT be available direct from Toyota and Nissan NZ?
That parts aren't ON THE SHELF at a range of aftermarket part suppliers new.
Raum is a corolla 1500 with a different body.
The Platz incidently is the model that had ONE change made to it for the NZ market. Removal of the platz badge and replaced with the echo badge.
In fairness the warning stickers for the NZ market are in English and the radio gets the nz stations for the kiwi model.

littlerae1, Feb 26, 5:38am
Well, I ended up getting the Toyota Platz 2001 and very pleased with it. I had "Car Inspection Services" take a look at it and all it needs is an oil filter service. Very comfortable to drive. I quite like having the speedo in the middle of the dash since I can now see what speed I'm going without the steering wheel in the way.

Rang AA insurance to change my policy and the agreed value was $7,000 which surprised me. I only paid $3,600 so have insured it for $5,500 - TPFT with glass cover. I understand if an uninsured driver hits me AA will only pay up to $4,000.00. So I'm wondering if full insurance would be best?

ema1, Feb 26, 6:19am
Probably be a good idea for say the first few years you own it.

jmma, Feb 26, 6:21am
Well done, enjoy your new car (o:

littlerae1, Feb 26, 7:10am
Thanks ema1 - I was thinking the first few years also. By then I should have put aside enough to buy another car if needed :-)

littlerae1, Feb 26, 7:10am
Thank You jmma :-)

kazbanz, Feb 26, 7:26am
'read' like it is a really nice car. The seller by the way buys all of Honda NZ trade ins so no shonky dealer.
just get the front wheels balanced and you'll be fine

littlerae1, Feb 26, 7:49am
Thanks kaz! intrade is going to check it out for me this weekend. Then I'll give it a nice valet treatment and make sure I keep up with everything so that it lasts a long long time :-)

I definitely need to give my old a car a clean since it's starting to look like something from the Adams Family; covered in dust and cobwebs - eeeek!

tamarillo, Feb 26, 8:16am
Yes, unique parts are unlikely to be held by main dealer, they didn't import them so have no obligation to do so. I am generalising and realise some do quite well with this, especially Toyota I believe?, anyway mute issue now and happy buyer.

kazbanz, Feb 26, 9:15am
HMM--OK i'll bite.
Given there were three cars OP was interested in--which one will NOT have parts on the shelf at the franchise dealership and available at most parts supply places nation wide AND have parts sitting in dismantlers yards nation wide?

littlerae1, Apr 20, 11:42am
intrade did a really good job getting my new car up to scratch. I finally picked up the new tyre rim from Toyota today and got it fitted by the Tire Stop shop. Tire Shop was surprised it didn't need much balancing. I told him intrade had already done the balance as best he could.

Then I went to supercheap autos and bought four wheel covers (hub caps) for $25.00 http://tinyurl.com/SCA-wheel-covers

Thanks again to intrade, kazbanz and others from Motoring that gave me lots of info to help me in my decision-making. This has been the best car purchase ever and I couldn't have done it without you all.

Heading over to the Real Estate message board now; landlord selling up so best I learn all about that! God Bless!