So cyclists can ride in the middle of the road?

Page 2 / 2
purplegoat, Dec 12, 6:46am
Clearly you were bashed over the head with a bicycle pump at birth , cause there's no other way to account for your attitude towards a cyclist who was doing everything safely and legally . the chump in the SUV had 2 other lanes he could have moved into to pass the cyclist safely but choose to be a twat and got caught out

medcare, Dec 12, 6:48am
Having watched the video again there was only one vehicle behind him and Mr Emet was stopped at the traffic lights in the MIDDLE of the traffic lane.

He could so easily and considerately have stopped in the left of the lane to allow the SUV to pass him as they both accelerated away from the lights, within 2-3 seconds the SUV would have been gone.

Furthermore as he pedaled away there were absolutely no obstructions preventing him shifting a mere 2 metres to the left to let the SUV past. But he chose to sit in the middle of the lane.

it does seem that Mr Emet baited the SUV and got the " road rage " footage that he wanted.

One does wonder how long before Mr Emet racks up another dozen complaints.

thisles5, Dec 12, 6:53am
yip ! a pratt of the first degree.

purplegoat, Dec 12, 6:55am
Any cyclist with any smarts will ride a good metre clear of any parked cars to avoid the muppets who swing car doors open without looking . That would not leave adequate room for a large vehicle like a SUV to pass the cyclist leaving the recommended 1.5 meters clearance and stay within there lane The cyclist did the recommended practise of taking the lane which sends a clear signal to motorists approaching from behind that this lane is taken . To do any any different in that particular circumstance would be inviting motorists to squeeze into thru a gap that quite simply is not big enough . Even if there was another vehicle in the lane to the right of the offending vehicle at most he would of have to wait 1-2 for that to pass and then move right . Instead he made a conscious decision to be a twat and potentially endanger the cyclists life .
Any motorist who deliberately and intentionally endangers another road user should face the full consequences of there actions

thisles5, Dec 12, 7:00am
the only reason something would have the cameras set up would be to goad someone , so they could be drama queens.

purplegoat, Dec 12, 7:00am
Stopping at traffic lights in the middle of the lane is considered best practise the world over . That's why the green cycle boxes go right across the lane at lights . Then the cyclist is clearly in the motorists line of sight and not potentially hidden by the motorists blind spot . Go drive in any European city and you will have 3-4 cyclists line up at the front of the queque

medcare, Dec 12, 7:03am
But for the first 200+ metre there were no cars. !

And why stop at the lights on a slow to accelerate cycle in the MIDDLE of a traffic lane.

And why when you move off slowly from the MIDDLE of a traffic lane and there is more than ample room to move left. why chose not to.?

Why remain in the middle, unnecessarily blocking traffic and aggressively jabbing your arm demanding cars go around you.

Muppet is, as muppet does.

medcare, Dec 12, 7:14am
Firstly there is no green box at these lights.
But nonetheless you are stating that in Europe, and even if there was a green box, then if ONE cyclist pulls up at the front of a set of lights, they sit in the middle of the lane, they never stop on the left to let cars pass and they never move over when pedaling away, even if there is plenty of room, they just hold their ground, they remain in the middle of the lane and hold up all the traffic behind them.
Really. ?

cagivachick1, Dec 12, 7:26am
im surprised the cyclist actually stopped at a red light, is this cyclist the "vexatious ligitant" that infests utube

esky-tastic, Dec 12, 7:27am
Nice troll, top marks.

I know you're trolling because you wouldn't be an idiot making that comment. would you?

medcare, Dec 12, 7:29am
Any cyclist riding a bike should above all else remember that when it all goes to custard, it is them that will (literally) be custard all over the road.
They should have a sharp situational awareness and they should keep as far and as practical and safe to the left, and not ride around sitting at traffic lights in the middle of traffic lanes and demanding a metre here and another 1.5 metres there.
By your logic if a cyclist wants a metre from every parked car, then demands another 1.5 metres from any vehicle passing it, then no vehicle in a single lane road can pass any cyclist, not even going uphill, lets just all wait.
Perhaps a more sensible option might be to look at the parked cars ,see that no one is in them, hence no door can open, keep as safe as practical to the left, and if a car passes with (gosh) as little as a metre clearance, is it really worth having a cow over.?
Cyclist do not pay to use a road, even less those who use it for sport. Demand all you like but play fair, be considerate and share the road and don't go around baiting drivers for road rage footage.

esky-tastic, Dec 12, 7:30am
Hmm, WOULD it have 'been gone' - or would it have just sat behind the cyclist regardless 'because he could' and wanted to be a prat?

dr.doolittle, Dec 12, 7:30am
medcare, you're a tool & someone should save the power & switch off your life support. Or at least stand on your oxygen tube.
There I said it.
Merry Christmas too by the way.

esky-tastic, Dec 12, 7:32am
Yes, exactly!

The so called self opinionated 'better than average' Kiwi driver behaves just like the above.

But won't admit it.

ryanm2, Dec 12, 7:34am
what are you talking about? There was a bus lane to the cyclists left.

medcare, Dec 12, 7:38am
No one else is at home so tell ya what. I'll stand on my own tube. Merry (gasp) Christmas. (cough, wheeze, I can't breath) to you too.

medcare, Dec 12, 7:42am
Bugger. I stood on my catheter tube, not my oxygen tube. now my urine bag has burst. Bah Humbug. !

medcare, Dec 12, 7:51am
Oh for goodness sake. ! So now I've put my other foot on what I thought was my oxygen tube but turns out it was my colostomy tube. that bag has burst as well and now I'm really in the crap. literally. ,
PS some tools are useful, like mops, and buckets.
Wet n dry vacuums. .
Skip bins.

extrayda, Dec 12, 8:29am
I agree with the comment above about crossings as an example. I often wait at the crossing while inattentive / aggressive people drive straight through. Being right doesn't equal being smart.
I do think the guy on the bike was clearly baiting the SUV as can be seen by his arm waving and blocking the lane - he could really easily and safely have just moved over.
However the guy in the SUV took a massive risk - what if the cyclist had fallen towards the car and been run over - that could have been much worse.

I've asked this before, but curious as to the answer - what would the cyclist have done if the SUV had passed him carefully, then pulled in front of his bike and gone really slowly (not slammed on the brakes or done anything dangerous, just gone really slowly)? Would the cyclist have passed on the inside making sure to leave at least 1.5 metres or space? Would he have carefully passed on the outside doing the same. I suspect he would have abused the motorist, and likely tried to bash his mirror off or kick his car.
But the motorist wouldn't have been doing anything illegal would he.

I haven't seen any cyclists being obnoxious or idiots for quite a long time now however. Used to see them weaving around traffic, going through reds etc.

purplegoat, Dec 12, 8:47am
Medcare it's quite clear you have never or very infrequently ridden a cycle in a urban area . I suggest you go and read some of the NZTA documents in particular the road code and safe cycling guide . Other than that I'm not wasting my time with you because you're clearly a know It all when it comes go cycling on the road . Maybe you should become a consultant to councils and the NZTA on developing cycling infrastructure as you obviously know more that they do .

purplegoat, Dec 12, 8:49am
With parked cars in it which would necessitate weaving in and out .
Far safer to hold your line in the left lane so that motorists approaching from behind can see you from well back and just like when approaching any other slower road user pass when safe to do so .

2get1, Dec 12, 9:08am
where do you get the idea that cyclists don't pay to use the road ? most cyclists I know pay tax for a start . then there is all the car rego and other vehicle rego that we pay for a year which is 365 days, but you cant be using your car on the road when you are riding a bike. So get real they pay for the roads just like anyone else does.

and you talk of looking to see if someone is in a parked car and riding closer. have you ever tried that ? poor light, tinted windows, vans, utes etc etc you cant safely see whats in a vehicle let alone someone reaching down to grab something before they fling the door open without looking. Have you ever had a door opened on you on a bike ? its not pleasant usually breaks your collar bone, the door edge is like a knife almost. hence why most street smart cyclists give parked cars a wide berth, atleats the width of the door itself.

seadubya, Dec 12, 11:15am
Two egomaniacs trying to out do each other in a biggest idiot competition, whoop dee doo.
Motorist had an empty lane to the right, cyclist had two whole parked cars to his left in the distance, all in the wee hours where courtesy from either side would've resulted in a non event.

howie69, Jun 25, 9:16am
Too bloody right, they were both prats.