Battery charger for electrolysis

ambo11, Jul 29, 5:19am
Want to do some rust removal at home, bought a battery charger which has 3 leds for connected/charging/charged status. But now think it may not work if it recognises that its connected to a battery? Anyone done this at home, and what type of charger did you use? Thinking I may need to buy an old charger from the 60s or so, that simply puts out power non stop until unplugged. Cheers

joanie32, Jul 29, 5:31am
What are you trying to do?

ambo11, Jul 29, 5:55am
Can remove rust at home using a battery charger/bucket of water/water/washing soda and a bit of sacrificial steel to "accept" the rust which comes off the item you are wanting to strip. Works well, great for restoring old steel items. Attach negative to the steel item you want to strip rust off, and positive to sacrificial bit of steel and leave for a day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka6ArN_ehas

reb53, Jul 29, 6:05am
Have done this in the past using an "old school" charger.
Works well but needed to leave it going for hours.
Starts fizzing almost straight away so you'll know if it's working. Don't see why it shouldn't, even with one of them new fangled type chargers.

kazbanz, Jul 29, 6:08am
might pop the internal fuse if you do that.

sr2, Jul 29, 6:16am
$52 for 5 litres of Tergophos diluted 9-1 makes 50 litres of diluted phosphoric acid, perfect for setting up your own rust removal immersion system.

budgel, Jul 29, 6:55am
One jar of molasses in a fish bin full of water will remove rust without worrying about battery chargers. Google it!

tintop, Jul 29, 7:03am
As suggested - an old school charger will do the job for you, where a modern 'smart' charger may give unexpected results.

See if you can ;locate a 'Teerad' charger, has 6V and 12V output along with 'high' and 'low' Also has an ammeter.

They have a copper oxide rectifier that may have failed, but easily replaceable with a solid state diode bridge rectifier

You may need a wire wound rheostat to make fine current adjustments. It occurs to me that there may be an optimum current density on the surface of the item with the rust. A google search will help with finding
that.

panicky, Jul 29, 7:05am
Most modern chargers require a residual charge of around 6.5 - 7 volts still to be in the battery to switch the charger "on".

pdc1, Dec 13, 12:26am
I guess you could add a battery into the circuit as well. Listen to what tiptop and kazbanz is saying. Pretty easy to burn a battery charger out doing this. I??