Oil change problems

reeb, Apr 26, 4:26am
changed filter and put in oil, turned on motor and oil leaked out of filter, had tightened properly too, what you think?

dasfi, Apr 26, 4:27am
Wrong filter? The seal from the old filter did not come off with old filter, so maybe there is 2 rubber seals?

reeb, Apr 26, 4:28am
got the right filter, and old oil filter had still seal on, so no 2 seals.

dasfi, Apr 26, 4:31am
Guess you could check the surface of where the filter goes to make sure nothing was on there before you screwed new filter up,

reeb, Apr 26, 4:34am
might get a filter spanner and have a look,

reeb, Apr 26, 4:38am
have done alot of oil changes, this is really weird, my boy bought a car and thought i'd change the oil and filter for him. but maybe the thread is stuffed, who knows.

franc123, Apr 26, 4:42am
What vehicle, what year, what engine and what is the part number on the old filter AND the new one?

reeb, Apr 26, 4:48am
mazda 323,1600 cc 1994. Z79X filter

franc123, Apr 26, 5:03am
Should work, that filter fits a broad range of 80s and 90s Mazda engines, including those fitted to Ford equivalents. You certain the filter is as tight as you can get it by hand and its not coming from the seam at the base and not the seal?

reeb, Apr 26, 5:13am
so tight i cant get it off by hand, need a spanner to get filter off.

ntalke, Apr 26, 5:21am
I'm also for the old rubber filter ring has attached itself to the block when removing the old filter

Happened to me years ago on a Cortina,always check now

poppajn, Apr 26, 5:29am
If it's that tight you've probably twisted the rubber ring out of shape. Filter only needs to be hand tightened

clark20, Apr 26, 6:01am
I had one that the thread was stuffed and I tightened by feel, you could not see it so it was nip and 1/2 turn more, started car and $80 worth of Motul went on the floor, got a new one but no replacement for oil.

thunderbolt, Apr 26, 6:15am
What brand filter?

purple666, Apr 26, 7:01am
I'd be willing to bet that most of us have done that at one time or another, just the once mind you.

intrade, Apr 26, 8:12am
filter so tight it buckled the thread inside the filter and now its out of thread and the filter is not sealing on its rubber no more because you pulled the insieds out of the filter.
You never ever tighten a filter with a spanner and always oil the seal
1 hand with all the force your wrist has is the correct torque for oil filters. unless your superman of course
only use quality filkters like "wix" or factory car make filters.

2sheddies, Apr 26, 8:47am
On the very rare occasions when I've had a slight leak, I found the solution was simply back it off and reseat the O ring against the mounting face of the block, so you could give that a try, assuming the filter isn't faulty or damaged in some other way, as intrade suggested for example.

ema1, Apr 26, 9:02am
Are you sure you haven't cross threaded the filter onto the fitting?
Get another filter ( preferably Mazda original) as it's possible the one you have is either defective or damaged?
Read the fitting instructions, tighten hand tight about 1/3 to 1/2 turn after seal contacts the base flange + always smear a little oil on seal ring before fitting.

pauldw, Apr 26, 9:42am
Most fitting instructions I've seen quote 3/4 turn after initial contact.

franc123, Apr 26, 9:55am
Which generally equates to as tight as most people can get it with one hand!

catwoman1974, Apr 27, 1:02pm
I'm for over tightened filter which has put seal out of shape

margos1, Apr 28, 12:50am
A bit of oil spread on the rubber o ring before you put it on helps.

mrfxit, Feb 22, 11:46am
OR . a bit of gunk has dropped under the seal AS you fitted the filter

Pull it off/ clean & refit (even if it looks clean).
Check the new seal surface area matches the housing face