Imported Jaguar XJ8 circa 2006

Page 1 / 2
hers.nz, Jan 3, 8:54am
Any feedback on these good, bad or otherwise? I know it is particular to each car but does this particular model/year have any known issues? We are looking at replacing our Berlina and have our eye on a 3200cc XJ8 with low mileage. We prefer V6 or V8 in the 3000cc to 4000cc range and in terms of drive and quality the Jag is a pretty attractive option for $25k compared to some of the newer cars around.

jmma, Jan 3, 8:56am
Where was it imported from?

corsarii, Jan 3, 2:29pm
jags in general are solid as, buy with confidence

martin11, Jan 3, 7:38pm
Check that it complies with the import emission codes and no rust from salt roads .
Lots on trademe for around $20,000 . is it worth the trouble ?

rovercitroen, Jan 3, 8:22pm
Good choice. The V8 engine issues that the early ('96 - '2000ish) Jaguars had were all sorted by 2002. These are a beautiful car to drive and look at. Reliability is reportedly streets ahead of the earlier (pre- 1990) Jaguars. Good on you for looking outside the box instead of buying the standard issue Falcodore, Audi or BMW. In the years you are looking at I think the V8s come in 3.5, 4.2 and the stunning 4.2 supercharged version. How much refined grunt to you want?

rovercitroen, Jan 3, 8:25pm
What "trouble"?

martin11, Jan 3, 9:09pm
The cost involved in importing it and the paper work to make sure it can be put on the road here , many motor vehicles are imported to NZ and cannot be registered , 3 in the last 2 weeks at the company I am working for cannot be registered , also one that ended up costing 50% more than the same model here to get on the road . Only good for parts now .

sr2, Jan 3, 9:14pm
You might be jumping to conclusions? The impression I got was that the OP was not looking at importing one personally he was just looking at buying one that was not NZ new.

kazbanz, Jan 3, 10:05pm
martin-no indication in the OP that they are looking to import-more buy an import already here.

twincam1, Jan 3, 11:41pm
All Jags are terrific drivers car. Good maintenance is a must.

gunhand, Jan 3, 11:56pm
arn't one of these models basicly a Mondeo (or something like that) underneath the skin?

audi_s_ate, Jan 3, 11:58pm
Thats the x-type not xj - which cost 2-3 times more, new.

rovercitroen, Jan 4, 12:06am
Robinsons have NICE cars. Not the cheapest around but their car quality is good.

rovercitroen, Jan 4, 12:13am
I've had a few Jags of various ages and enjoyed them immensely. Once I feel like a change from my current Audi S8, I think a mid - 2000s Jaguar will be next, maybe an XJR or even an XF Jaguar.

clark20, Jan 4, 12:18am
Nice, is it only a 3.6L V8?

elect70, Jan 4, 2:52am
So long as its latish model , as above early V8s had timming chain & tensioner problems & front suspension bushes . Love to have a new E type

hers.nz, Jan 4, 4:41am
That's the one.

jmma, Jan 4, 4:45am
Sorry don't know anything about them, so can't comment.
Used to own a 1972 xj6 and loved that car (o:
All I can say is "Nice Car"

rovercitroen, Jan 4, 4:49am
Nice low kms. You'd want to check that the time-based service requirements have been done. Stunning car for the money. I see they have a nice "Super 8" as well.

stevexc, Jan 4, 4:50am
Friend of mine has 3 of them and loves them. All are 4.2, one is supercharged - extremely fast. One of them (might be the supercharged one) is a long wheel base, quite rare.

Maintenance wise he tells me they use cheap readily available parts.

hers.nz, Jan 4, 4:52am
Looking at the Mercs they are relatively higher priced for the equivalent year or with higher mileage. H isn't a Merc fan either.The majority of the time the car will only be doing a few kms a day going to and from work ( waste of a V8 I know) but we also want to have a touring car to travel around and visit family in Welly. I've had a few sub 3000cc before but we much prefer driving a larger engine car.

hers.nz, Jan 4, 5:03am
Thanks for the pointer.

xs1100, Jan 4, 8:54am
precisely and the last thing you want is a Singapore import or a british one that has had a winter over there on their salted roads

hers.nz, Jan 4, 5:48pm
The car is from Japan.

twincam1, Jan 4, 8:15pm
You will be fizzing for a long time. Terrific Merc. Well done.