Mazda Axela stereo hassles.

_peas, Jul 27, 7:40am
Hey all. I fitted a band expander to the Mrs' car and all was going well for two days then stopped working. Removed stereo and after a bit of trial and error found that the connection between the aerial plug on the band expander and the co-ax was dodgy (cut in and out when wiggled).

Now here is the main issue. The stereo assembly no longer has power. Eventually found the stereo fuse under the bonnet as no internal fuse panel exists (please prove me wrong if you know where they hide it!) A whopping 30A fuse in there (as stated it should be on the lid though) and this isn't equipped with the Bose system, just a crappy CD/FM tuner. Fuse looks fine. I tried another fuse from another system in there and still no joy.

Unplugged the stereo and used a circuit tester to ascertain that there is no power at the plug which leads me to believe that the unit itself is probably fine as the fault lies somewhere further up the chain. Any ideas? Please!

kazbanz, Jul 27, 7:49am
look for the fuses inside the car.
Watch this --it will help
http://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2008_Mazda_3_S_2.3L_4_Cyl._Hatchback/fuse_interior/replace

_peas, Jul 27, 7:58am
Oh I have. Glove box, drivers kick panel ripped out, under dash searched. and nothing on the unit itself.

_peas, Jul 27, 7:59am
Nice video. that part wasn't on my hit list. I will have a look and see if I can dismantle that. Cheers Kaz.

_peas, Jul 27, 8:10am
That is the business. Cheers so much for that. Back to replacing the dodgy band expander but that's a potential monkey off my back that I just don't have time or enthusiasm for. Quite a handy little site that.

2sheddies, Jul 27, 9:17am
If I were you, while it's all pulled apart, I'd take advantage of the opportunity to bin the factory head unit and it's troublesome band expander, and fit a nice aftermarket one instead.

kazbanz, Jul 27, 9:25pm
That's not so easy if its one version.

_peas, Jul 28, 8:27am
No its more than a quick DIN sized swap out. I would have done that as my first option but the who integrated look needs a substantial after market fitting kit to make it look half pie decent so that little expense can wait.

quickbuck, Jul 28, 8:34am
Yeah. A guy at work has had it done to his Atenza . Not sure if he got it done or the previous owner. Might ask tomorrow. but knowing those cars reasonably well (having owned a Mazda 6), I can imagine that it takes more than a little bit of skill to get it right. Paying the guy with the skill and knowledge won't be cheap.

sw20, Jul 28, 8:37am
Metra make a kit for the RX-8. I assume similar will be available for the 3 to fit an aftermarket headunit.

kazbanz, Jul 28, 8:53pm
Peas-I would ask the question regarding a kit for your car OR theres a guy that does mazda 3 head units that are a drop in.-mazda 3 means kiwi radio stations.-same guy does both.
if you have already opened the dash to pull the factory radio out then really you have done the technical part of the job once already.
heck if I can fit em .

_peas, Jul 29, 4:59am
Its the Mrs's car so until she starts complaining about the stereo going to crap the band expanded crappy unit can do the business. I have installed plenty of stereos/band expanders/speakers/amps. Its not the doing it that puts me off. Its paying for parts when the one in there is still working. We will cross that bridge when we get there, plenty of other holes to pour my cash down.

kazbanz, Dec 14, 12:13am
peas-just so ya know. mazda 3/axella head unit is $120 plus gst if ya ever need one.-The guy advertises on here a bit.