Buying bare cylinder head?

rosehonda, Apr 25, 6:36am
Do you need new parts for a bare cylinder head or can you use parts from your old head. Just wondering as people say not to mix up valve springs etc when stripping the head.

wayned, Apr 25, 6:40am
That is if you are reassembling the head with no valve grind. You can use your old valves, but will need to be machine ground for new head. Things like spring pressures should be checked. Also what kind of tappets does it have? Hydraulic - Shim - adjustable. All matters to whether it is a just a swap or if a professional needs to set it up.

cabrio1, Apr 25, 6:59am
The cylinder head shop near me will swap all the parts over, grind the seats etc and set valve clearances. Was worth the money.

rosehonda, Apr 25, 7:35am
Ok. Valves are adjustable. You mean the seats need to be machine ground? Doesn't sound too bad.

wayned, Apr 25, 7:38am
old valves need to be ground as they are worn. Would pay for seats to get checked as not all new heads of great standard

tintop, Apr 25, 7:48am
What engine ?

elect70, Apr 26, 3:31am
i did , my vl commie head cracked around the cam housing , common , couldnt buy a used head for love of $ so bought bare new head @ around $1G in 1993 & swapped all my bits over . Lasted ok for anther 3 years & 3 cam sensors before getting rid of the thing .

rosehonda, Feb 24, 5:40pm
Is an aluminium head that has been welded / repaired something to avoid or is it ok if done properly?