Are you a good driver?

Page 1 / 2
henderson_guy, May 21, 6:56pm
While driving this morning, I was reflecting on different driving habits and how they may vary depending on each persons experience. Which lead to considering - what IS a good driver? Is it someone who obeys every cornering speed advisory and stop sign, or is it someone who decides their own safe speed? Somebody who is confident to overtake slower vehicles, or happily plod along behind them? Maybe somebody who lets others in front of them from side streets, or can control a drift around every intersection?
As skin suggested in another thread, some people may be better in some areas than others. I like to think my strength is looking for hazards as far ahead as possible, and I'd suggest that most people who have spent time driving trucks (or riding motorbikes I'd imagine) would share that.
So, what makes you a good driver? Or, what attributes do you think a good driver should have?

therafter1, May 21, 7:08pm
All of the above, but I still don't classify myself as a good driver. I classify myself as a careful, attentive, courteous, law abiding [most of the time lol] driver that is always learning.

henderson_guy, May 21, 7:11pm
So what is a good driver?

clark20, May 21, 7:26pm
Aware of my surroundings, make decisive actions and aggressive, and not tolerant of muppets (of which there are too many) so no, probably not.

gman35, May 21, 7:51pm
In my experience , most SMOOTH drivers are good drivers (cornering,braking etc) as they concentrate as to the correct driving "lines" etc, and what is going on around them to make progress as efficient as possible.
As cars get easier and easier to drive it seems more drivers get in and mentally fall asleep, and judgement/reaction time is getting worse also I feel.

saxman99, May 21, 8:42pm
Lewis Hamilton is a good driver. So is Sebastien Loeb.

mm12345, May 21, 9:37pm
IMO many "smooth" drivers learned early, but those people I know who didn't start driving until they were older seem to take a far more mechanical deliberate approach to things. I see the same thing with sailing - people who sailed when they were kids tend to be smoother when on the helm, working with it rather than fighting it. That makes for a smoother (and faster) ride on the water as well.

It'd be interesting to know if that relates to safety. While I know a few people who don't seem to be able to corner, brake, accelerate smoothly - to the point where it can be unpleasant to be a passenger, they seem safe enough and don't seem to have more accidents. They might be more on the alert for hazards and actually end up being safer. All of them I know didn't learn until they were well into their 20s or older. I know a couple of people who've lived in large cities overseas and never had a license, but who've tried to learn to drive here, but found the experience so terrifying, they've given up.

henderson_guy, May 21, 9:47pm
Well yeah, obviously, but are they a good driver when they're amongst the rest of us mere mortals?

gman35, May 21, 9:53pm
Interesting comments , my wife is certainly the "latter" as you describe (a drag-racer between traffic lights/steers like Mr. Bean, I swear I can get an extra 1/4 tank worth of gas worth of mileage more than she does, not to mention far better tyre life).
The safety aspect is often due to non- "natural" drivers sometimes being over-cautious also I feel, regarding judgement of traffic gaps etc. So they may indeed have few accidents , but I certainly would not describe them as good drivers in regards to road courtesy, or passenger comfort.

henderson_guy, May 21, 9:56pm
Some good points in there. And it kinda reinforces the point that everyone has a different perspective of what a good driver is. I'm finding it pretty interesting too

allan_mac, May 21, 10:07pm
I think the marker of a good driver is a driver who makes his/her passengers feel comfortable.

skin1235, May 21, 10:45pm
he's comfortable in his vehicle, and so are his passengers, he is aware of ALL other traffic around him and does not consider them bait to be chased down, nor does he consider himself to be the teacher
being aware he can avoid other fools or erratic drivers by his chosen method, he shows a lot of tolerance and very little frustration, what frustration he feels is not shown in his driving attitude

how many of us are good drivers, I cannot tick all those boxes all the time

kam04, May 21, 10:48pm
Am I a good driver? - 'knoath

skin1235, May 21, 11:01pm
I took my mum to Welly last thursday for a hospital procedure, sharing the road with many many others in the weather bomb, we were turned back just after Waikanae (sp) due to the coast road being blocked, sent over the Akatarara rd, those that know it know it needs attention, its single lane in many places, quite long places, only two vehicles coming the other way among the several dozen were unprepared to find oncoming traffic and locked it up, the rest were up to the occasion,,
into the Hutt valley and the Western was closed at Petone, took 2 hrs to get 1km to the exit to get off into Petone, 1/2 hr to get through 1km of Petone and back onto the Western around the slip and flooding that closed it, surprisingly perhaps, no fender benders, plenty willing to create gaps, it wasn't flowing fast but it wasn't stalled either
I crossed the main st Petone and headed down to the beach to sit a spell, let the traffic clear a bit etc but could not find a park, every parking place was full, cars with one or two in them just sitting chatting waiting for the traffic to clear
So we followed the roads back to Jackson st and joined the queue again, as on the Western within 10 minutes
Too late for the hosp appointment but they had already been advised and had shifted it to 7.30 the next morning
turned around at the coast at 12.05 noon, got to Welly Hosp at 5.18, arranged accom with the Whanau Whare ( who were also aware we were on our way and had stayed well past their normal knockoff of 4.30 to ensure we were sorted
Procedure had complications so instead of returning Sat morning it was Sunday night before we got back on the road again, travelled back to Wanga
Can only speak highly of the standard of drivers on display for the whole 4 days, Welly district drivers certainly know how to drive, I get all over the country and see some shockers, impatient arrogant aggressive idiotic selfish are normal elsewhere but were markedly missing down in the Welly

brapbrap8, May 21, 11:35pm
I think being calm on the road in all situations is a pretty good indicator of a good driver.
So many people get angry as soon as they get stuck behind a truck, tractor, cyclist or slower motorist which causes them to get aggresive and do dumb things, it also makes them focus more on the vehicle in front of them and not think so much about everything else.

I am pretty calm while driving, I think having been a cyclist, had cars that were too gutless to reach 100kph with a good head wind, and now being a tractor driver, and working a lot with truckies and often being out riding in trucks as well I am pretty accepting and understanding of all drivers.

Driving heavy vehicles makes you learn all about spatial awareness too, I was driving a tractor and trailer recently on a rural road, indicated left to turn into a gateway (indicators all working on tractor and trailer), pulled slightly to the right to swing into the gateway and had a tard in a honda decide they were going to undertake me half on the grass as I had moved slightly to the right!
Lucky I was watching him in the mirrors and have learned to expect people to do stupid things so I could stop before my 10ton tractor with 42 inch wheels flattened his wee car.

tamarillo, May 21, 11:45pm
Lot of stuff here I agree with. Hazards, looking ahead, positioning, safe, smooth. All come under IAM standards. IAM is Pom police system let out to public. So doesn't simply say go slow, as police in pursuit don't go slow. Worth a Google and looking at IAM videos, especially bike rider ones. Best thing I ever did for my riding.

motig, May 21, 11:50pm
Actually (and this is my opinion) if you think your a good driver your not.

zak410, May 22, 12:00am
I think I am IMO, years of motorbike riding in Europe even in snowy conditions made sure of smooth driving.

be alert, looking far ahead, predicting the actions of others, reading the condition/roads.

mm12345, May 22, 12:23am
There's some truth to that - google "illusory superiority" (most drivers think they're better than average), then extend that to think how some may assess risk. (If you're a "better than average driver" then you might be prepared to take greater risk yourself than you'd deem acceptable for "all the other idiots on the road").

therafter1, May 22, 12:35am
Ask Mike Hailwood . as much as we like to think so we are not always in control of our destiny on public roads!

tamarillo, May 22, 1:41am
Maybe. There is a difference between arrogance and confidence though. If you train, practice, and are open to always learning, you can be confident and could say you're a good driver. Trouble is folk mistake that for arrogance which is when you just think it and therefore are not open to learning and mistakes.

poppy62, May 22, 3:30am
I'm with Allan-Mac on this thread. It's to have the complete and utter trust of ones passengers that you the driver will make their journey the best, safest and the most seamless one since the last. After all self praise is no recommendation.

gammelvind, May 22, 7:42am
Couldn't agree more, qualified as an IAM member a number of years ago. It really emphasised just how much we never learnt right from the beginning as well as the real need for ongoing training needed for ever driver. I remember wel the number of "good" drivers out onto a closed road and let them drive as quickly as they liked, their limitations quickly become apparent. Spend 15 to 30 minutes training them and the improvements were immediately apparent.
Many drivers out there have natural abilities and many more are easily trainable but because we all suffer from a case of "we don't know what we don't know", an as there is no ongoing training we will continue to be this way leaving our driving abilities static.

skiff1, May 22, 7:51am
In the context of road driving, I think a good driver is someone who can stay alert and attentive to hazards and operate the vehicle to prevent those hazards becoming collisions. They also drive in a way that doesn't create hazards for other road users, and will keep the car happy, mechanically.

Am I a good driver? Tough question, but honestly I think I am ok. I think I have improved an enormous amount in the last twenty years of driving, but I know I have some major shortcomings too.

The thing that frustrates me is seeing new drivers being taught the mechanics of driving, clutch, gears steering, but not any sort of philosophy. No understanding of the environment, the way they impact on other people, and letting an aggressive "must get to the front" attitude develop.

peja, May 23, 3:33pm
Two things - being aware of everything all around you at all times, and being considerate. Smoothness helps too, as it makes your actions predictable which is good for other drivers. If you are aware and considerate you wont be doing things like taligating, impeding traffic, texting, failing to indicate, going too fast for the conditions etc etc

I try to be a good driver, and to be constantly focuissed and vigilant. Havent had an accident for many years, so at least I cant be completely appalling