Are you a good driver?

Page 2 / 2
tweake, May 24, 11:37pm
correct.

driving always changes. you can never get 100% experience, nor can you learn everything. therefore totally impossible to be a good driver.

in every industry i've been in, every person who ever ranted about how good they where, was in fact a useless bugger.
they may have been good years ago but times have changed and they haven't kept up and now do things badly.

so a "good driver" is someone who is always improving.

lookoutas, May 25, 3:46am
Anyone who does something often will be better than someone who doesn't. Therefore, a professional every day driver will handle a situation better than a weekender - simply because they are in the groove.

Just like trog can probably ride a bike better than I can, or Valentino Rossi ride a Super Bike better than all of us. We can all do these things, but practice makes perfect.

I remember Murph saying at an MTA function, that the top V8 Super Car drivers were in the teams with the budget that allowed them to spend time in the cars and on the track.
I know a guy who races a Muscle Car. He said if he tries to do donuts, he loses it. But his teenage son has no problems!

tweake, May 25, 3:52am
yes/no
if all else is equal then yes, more seat time means better driver.
however in the real world nothing is equal. pro drivers can have some seriously bad habits and attitudes and can be the worse drivers on the road.

gabbysnana, May 25, 5:37am
I was last night in the white out rain and high winds and flooded motorway and fog and rain and high winds on the bombays and hours later made it home alive.

peja, May 25, 6:05am
I was as well this morning around 7:30 - and there were a few people driving with no lights on. This to me is a mark of incompetence

plasticboys, May 26, 8:35am
i am the best driver i nz

angelab, May 26, 8:43am
Bad drivers are easier to quantify. Cars are so easy to drive now that people are on autopilot, that and the ignorance of not seeing the impact of your driving decisions on others. Not maliciously selfish, just ignorant I reckon most of the time.
Skiffs comments in post 25 are bang on.

tgray, May 26, 8:52pm
Defining a 'good driver' is not as simple as it suggests.
Insurance companies would define them as the type who have the least accidents. That might be middle aged ladies driving Mazda Demios to and from the shops.
Others might define a good driver as a skilful one, who has the ability to control their cars in a skid, hit the apex and power out of corners, change the gears quickly and smoothly at just the right rev's, etc.
I guess it depends on what one means by the term 'good driver'.
Am I a good driver? Absolutely! No accidents in 35 years and a huge amount of driving experience, here and overseas.

cjdnzl, May 27, 12:56am
Driving is at least in part instinctive. Like dancing and skating to name two skills, if one doesnt start as a child of about five or so, then you'll never be as fluent as a child who did. Almost all good drivers today were once small children in their parent's car, and absorbed the sounds and motions of the vehicle and the actions and reactions of the driver (usually) their father. This subliminal knowledge is very important when they in turn begin driving. Adult learners, especially if they haven't been brought up in a car-using family are far behind the eight-ball when driving a vehicle. Many immigrants to this country have never been in a car until they got here, and for them it's bloody difficult to absorb the subtleties of driving that can't really be taught. I believe that is why Asians in particular are criticized for their driving, they never grew up with a car.

henderson_guy, Sep 11, 2:14am
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. My way of thinking is that the definition of a good driver is directly related to the opinion of the person you ask. One persons good driver may be another persons f***ing idiot, or brain dead sheep. A good country driver may not be a good city driver, and vice versa. Some interesting points of view expressed here, thanks guys