Mazda Bounty WL-T starting rough.

ronny071, Apr 30, 8:12am
Hi,
I am having trouble finding the problem that causes my mazda to start and run rough for a about ten seconds before running completely fine as though there are no issues. During this time the truck sounds as though it is on 3 cylinders and blows a bit of smoke. I have replaced the glow plugs and took out the injectors and had them tested- they were ok. Im out of ideas and hope like hell its not a cracked head? Any help or recommendations on where to go or what I could try to fix this thing would be great.
Cam

franc123, Apr 30, 8:31am
Get the valve clearances checked, this is a fairly regular service item on WL's. Have seen exactly this happen with both Couriers and Bountys, you've almost certainly got one or two tight valves. Unless its been consuming coolant a cracked head seems unlikely at this stage, it will be on the horizon though if proper cooling system maintenance has been neglected.

mugenb20b, Apr 30, 8:32am
Is there power getting to the glow plugs (or buzz bar)? You can check for head gasket problems with engine running and radiator cap off by looking for bubbles or if you have to regularly top up the water if there are no external water leaks.

Another problem you might have is a partially blocked filter gauze inside the injector pump. It sits under a banjo bolt in the supply line. Once you remove the bolt, use a 'Bic' pen to retrieve a spring, and then the gauze, it sits in there about an inch deep, the gauze is about the size of your little finger nail. You can clean it out or ditch it.

ronny071, Apr 30, 8:49am
Ok thank you! I will try these tomorrow!

ml6989, Apr 30, 11:03am
Or a faulty coolant temp sensor causing the after glow to fail. Or a faulty new glow plug. fanc123 is also on a good track with valve clearances.

llortmt, Feb 18, 12:56pm
I'd be guessing a faulty glow plug, did the new ones come from BNT by chance?