Looking for advice on two different 4x4's

Page 2 / 2
ambo11, Jun 21, 11:14pm
Yep as Kaz said, Jeeps are a bit clunky when going into 4WD, but they are very strong, and capable as 4wds. Plus parts are pretty cheap for them, just make sure everything is full of oil etc as well, and that they don't whine too much when in 4wd. The V6 Terrano I know little about, but some Terranos did have terribly weak auto transmissions, and were known for blowing them at considerable cost, plus being a jap V6 petrol it will be really heavy on fuel. If you can find a tidy Jeep I think you are pretty safe, they are pretty comfy on trips, and use the right foot carefully they are not too bad on gas either. Ones which are raised a few inches with big feet can be a wobbly drive, a standard one is pretty good.
If I wanted a 4WD for towing horsefloats or actual 4wd work I would only consider another Jeep. Very reliable and simple, if you find one you like in good condition it won't let you down. New radiators can be bought for $2-300 plus an hour or so to fit, which I would probably do as preventative maintenance. You actually have to take the radiator out to see its condition reliably.

ambo11, Jun 21, 11:17pm
Oh and the drivers master switch for windows seems to be a weak point on them. ours was wobbly and a plastic "lever" occasionally fell out, but chucked it back in and it always worked. Possibly you could buy replacements on Ebay? I never looked.

geedubu, Jun 23, 5:38am
The Harrier is a gem, about the same comfort as the Patrol on a trip but quite a bit easier to drive. Really comfortable. I like performance and handling & have cars that fit that bill, but for a cruisey family lounge on wheels, vehicles like the Harrier are the go. My wife won't let me sell it and it has done 250000 kilometers. You can pick them up for peanuts these days.

doglover2003, Jun 23, 8:07am
"Man of me own heart"

Like big torque, what performance cars you got ?

geedubu, Jun 25, 4:23am
BMW Z3 M Sport BMW Z4 for the ladies Targa Scimitar with 300hp Commodore engine + ; pre 65 Morri Minor with modified MGA engine. Not all torque but definitely all talk. Had an Altezza and they are very good; gave it to my son.

seadubya, Jul 9, 5:42am
Thanks for all the help guys.
After 4 weeks of looking at poorly maintained or rusty Cherokees, I found a 1998 TD27ETi Terrano that is up to date with all maintenance and no rust issues, that will suit my needs.
Thanks again.

mals69, Feb 14, 9:29am
You would have been better off listening to dog