Japanese car import question - I am looking

tigger888, Jan 20, 10:58pm
at buying myself a car from Japan. I note in the photo it has what looks like a GPS Navigation system installed where the stereo would usually be. Can I use this in NZ ( or do I need to buy special software for NZ)? And is an expensive process to have it removed and a stereo re-instated? Thanks for your help:-)

rbd, Jan 20, 11:03pm
Blue car or red car?

If a euro like a BMW you can get it converted for around $1500. If Japanese car then you are usually stuffed.

charlie4561, Jan 20, 11:10pm
Just buy a Tomtom GPS that sticks on your windscreen for like $99 on sale and use that. It will have a faster processor, better maps, etc. than anything in a car that will presumably be 5 years old or more.

kazbanz, Jan 20, 11:21pm
No you can't use it in NZ and no you don't BUY software--its scrap value only.
If you give the year/make/model I can be specific for you

tigger888, Jan 21, 12:59am
Hi Kazbanz -so I need to take it out and put a stereo back? I am looking at Suzuki swift - but the gap it would leave in the dash would it seem be the size of 2 stereos (or a radio/stereo and something else)? So what would I do to replace it and make it look tidy?

tigger888, Jan 21, 3:23am
Hi, Thank you for that! It exactly what I would need!

Do you know if I could pretty much install a standard radio or cd player next to this ( an possibly buy one on TM) - or does it have to be a special suzuki model to fit?

The model Suzuki swift car I am looking at buying and would require it for would be a 2007-2009 zc31s

mad_signtist, Jan 21, 3:48am
Is the stereo gps unit built into the dash?

kazbanz, Jan 21, 4:03am
go buy a wiring kit for $30.00 and a double din radio. it "sorta" slots right in.
DO NOT under any circumstances use brute force.
swifts have some rear mount screws that catch new players

kazbanz, Jan 21, 4:45am
like that but kiwi rather than jap-and either or with the wiring--its like plugging in extention cords

ianab, Jan 21, 5:11am
You can also just turn of the GPS function, and it still works as a Stereo, and usually your reverse camera as well. Just need a cheap band converter then.

Sometimes takes a bit of playing with buttons as they are all in Japanese.

Then buy a TomTom and stick it to the dash if you need the satnav

harm_less, Jan 21, 9:47pm
We have an ex-Japan Nissan LEAF. The GPS is of no use whatsoever in NZ but the display panel also shows a lot of other info such as stereo/radio volume, frequency, etc as well as the climate control (AC) temperature, etc. The GPS display panel also 'flips up' to expose the CD slot which is only a couple of cms behind the actual display so all in all the removal of the GPS panel would serve no purpose and would negatively effect other car functions.

If we needed to use a GPS we would plug in the Garmin but unlikely for us in Taranaki as the LEAF is a local only car due to the battery range (approx. 120km).

labbhen, Jun 26, 9:31am
Hi I just said no thanks to a very tempting saab when I heard it was imported from Singapore. And it seemed to be the same for most(!) europen cars. Now I'm looking at euro car imported from Japan. Any experience? Thanks