2004 VW Passat V6 4 Motion

Page 1 / 2
beetle18, Feb 6, 6:26am
We have been looking at the above car. It's done 42000 km and drives very well. The dealer is selling it for just under $10,000. We are tempted.
Would appreciate comments.

henderson_guy, Feb 6, 6:32am
Oh dear, now you've done it!

beetle18, Feb 6, 6:39am
Have I blundered all unsuspecting into something? I'm just an innocent bystander.
genuine question re nice looking car.

gunhand, Feb 6, 6:46am
For that kinda money you could get something so much better, reliable and sips fuel like a 50cc scooter. Not to mention parts you can buy in NZ over the counter and not wait a week for a simple part off ebay to save $$$$ over the horrendous price you will charged here.
Don't stress its an ongoing thing, bit of a piss take on a very knowledgeable VW fella. Nice guy and all, just very very passionate about is marque lol.

robotnik, Feb 6, 7:09am
It is just that Volkswagens aren't very reliable and are cheap for a reason. They drive well, but if you want reliability a Japanese car would be a better bet.

beetle18, Feb 6, 7:11am
Lissa25, brilliant!

twincam1, Feb 6, 7:23am
Buy that, you will be sorry. Heap of junk.

jmma, Feb 6, 7:30am
One of the most over rated and hidiously over priced vehicles on our roads. I would be hard pressed to think of a similar vehicle that is likely to cost you more (initial outlay for age/depreciation/running cost/maintenance cost/repair cost). and what do you get in return for all that expense?

Not a particularly startling vehicle compared to what else is available in the segment for the price.

Basically, a car for someone is not very good at basic arithmatic and listens to wives tales and what the crowd is doing instead of thinking for themselves. You can do SO much better it just isn't funny.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 6, 7:36am
2004 should be the last of the old model. That's far too much cash for that model, I bought a very tidy 2006 new model Kiwi New V6 4Motion some time ago for just $9500.

The New model is a huge step ahead on the old one (even though the old one was a very good car). It's far more efficient, drives better, is much better featured, has more go and uses less fuel.

I would also say that the one you are looking at will almost be guaranteed to be due the major service based on age (timing belt etc) and along with a transmission service which you would definitely want to do on that you would want to be allowing nearly another 2K.

Be ready for the dealer to try and pretend the age factor on the belts doesn't exist etc (as they do) but if it's not been done it's well and truely overdue at this point.

The transmission fluid will need doing as well due to age, along with the coolant etc.

If you decide to press on with it I can go in to detail of what will need doing, costs etc but really, I would be buying the new model with that budget.

BTW. the negative nonsense above is just silly trolling, cutting and pasting other peoples posts trying to make childish in jokes. Don't mistake it for proper advice.

beetle18, Feb 6, 7:39am
Thank you. That really is helpful.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 6, 8:07am
You are most welcome. The new model Passat is a phenomenal car, well worth the effort, even if you have to travel to buy one.

We have had a number of that series of VW and I personally do all the maintenance and repairs. I am more than happy to share with you what you need to know about finding a good one, what to expect service cost wise and all sorts of tips and tricks with them.

Just give us a yell if you decide to go further (with either the one you are looking at or hopefully the newer model) and I will be happy to fill you in.

phillip.weston, Feb 6, 10:41am
I would be very suspicious why an 11 year old car has travelled just 42,000kms. Perhaps it's spent half of its life at the workshop for warranty work, and barely driven outside the warranty in fear of it breaking?

twincam1, Feb 6, 7:29pm
Probably right, getting new rear diff, 3rd set of coil packs, 5th or 6th plastic impellor etc; never ending repairs. Not to mention the weak chassis in them.

ryanm2, Feb 6, 7:37pm
For 10k you could get a new shape Passat, we have been looking for over a year and the prices continue to fall at a rapid rate. We missed out on a 1 owner, diesel, 2007, 117km, full service history, nz new, leather etc which went for 11k. Higher km's are often a lot less than 10k.

realtrader1, Feb 6, 7:54pm
It never ceases to amaze me! What is it about these euro cars that (well in the case of the above) $2000 for a major service! What? So much money! That alone should put people off! Okay, the car has done 42000 km let's say it's legit. Why should it have an age rating? Every 5 years isn't it? So $2000 every 5 years along with other services and maintenance costs and, and, and in between. Compare: Toyota around year 2000 and on (those fitted with a belt) 150 000 km AND I am unaware of a 5 year expiry date. Please, more information re Euro. Could we have some more evidence. Someone said they are so complex that they become only suitable for parts. Do they have way more electronics than others?

msigg, Feb 6, 9:12pm
realtrader1 you need to look around and ask your mechanics, do you see these sorts of cars being run as rental cars, NO, that,s because high depreciation,maintenance running cost and reliability factor, rentals have to be on the road to make money, These expensive cars are all good if under warranty, the only down side is waiting for repairs, once out of warranty some can cost an arm and leg to repair. Where these cars are made/europe, the turn over is very high and they are not on the road as long , all due to wages and economics. The engines and trans are so highly tuned and have so many parameters that all need to compute or else the engine will shut down and cause problems, yes heap of electronic crap that is expensive to repair, but if you can afford it or have a business to offset the price then you too can have one of these and show yourself off too.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 7, 12:06am
Synthetic oil doesn't magically last any longer in Japanese cars, nor is it any cheaper. ALL timing belts have an age limit (depends a bit on engine design) and that varies between about 3 - 10 years depending on make/model. Volvo has 10 year belts like some Toyota's.

Price up a timing belt service with new tensioners and water pump, transmission service with full flush and new filter, new long life coolant, engine oil, air, cabin and fuel filter with labour for a competing belt driven Japanese car and you will generally get much the same price. ($1500 - $2000) as you would pay here.

The key reasons people get "shocked" at the price of a proper service is they are the types that tend to neglect their cars and ignore the manufacturers recommendations. Then they do a dance and blame the badge on the front when the vehicle lets them down, and find only the most basic, inefficient out of date and over priced vehicles are reliable.

That or they try and pretend a high end sophisticated vehicle and the most basic of stripped out puddle jumpers should cost the same to service.

I don't want to turn this in to yet another absurd Euro vs Jap thread but it needs to be said. Cars are cars, some are sophisticated some are basic. There is no alien technology under the bonnet of European cars or any mega sophisticated super computer running them.

My Panda is a basic European car, it's engine is far more simple than what's in a Corolla. A timing belt service including waterpump, tensioner and coolant costs me about $130 in parts/fluids and half an hour of time. Most Japanese cars need 2-3 regular services to every one service the Panda needs. This also substantially reduces service costs.

My 156 is more sophisticated and luxurious, it probably takes me 4 hours and $500 to do a proper job on that one.

As much as people like to pretend wives tales and car dealer nonsense. There is no free lunch, no "special" Japanese technology. Cars are cars, some are sophisticated some are basic, all use very similar technology and designs. Most wear parts (belts, sensors, bearings) are made by the same companies and supplied to manufacturers across the world.

People just see/hear what they want to hear to try and reinforce pre-conceived notions.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 7, 12:20am
The Passat is renowned in Europe as the benchmark for reliability and low running costs for fleet vehicles. It regularly gets top marks in fleet magazines and by various fleet vehicle associations.

As for rentals, you should never in my opinion use what is popular as a rental car as a guide to what you should buy yourself. For the very same reason you wouldn't (hopefully) put a stainless steel and concrete toilet in your house because that's what lasts best in Otara public parks.

Also, with regard to the new model Passat I have recommended. You will be very very hard pressed to find a similarly spec'd vehicle that will have more reasonable depreciation over the next few years. Depreciation is not linear for any vehicle, no vehicle has "good" or "bad" depreciation over all. The key is to avoid the cliffs and buy when a vehicle when it's approaching a platau in it's depreciation cycle. Just as the passat is now.

msigg, Feb 7, 12:52am
No the most reliable car in europe is the Dacia, just ask Intrade. There are no doubts in any reviews, the japanese cars are generally more reliable than the european cars. Fact, Maybe they are more basic, maybe the Japanese just copied others but did improvements as they do . Toyota lead the way in Car manufacturing for quality and reliablity. Do some research.

twincam1, Feb 7, 1:47am
In worldwide sales, Mercedes, BMW and Audi are way ahead of any other in the so called luxury class.

skyblue17, Feb 7, 2:06am
I think Toyota are well up there with numbers of recalls too.
'Toyota lead the way in Car manufacturing for quality' Do you really believe that.? How quaint.

mugenb20b, Feb 7, 2:34am
No, panda is a bear (actually, it belongs to a racoon family).

gunhand, Feb 7, 2:46am
Funny you mention that you shouldn't use whats popular as rental as a guide to what you should buy yourself. Mate was in Aussie and got a jappa rental (large wobbly one, apparently ) and drove around in the searing heat etc etc. They liked that much they came home to NZ and purchased one.
I reckon a rental would be a bloody good way of telling how well they hold together myself.

poppy62, Feb 7, 2:49am
Poorly researched post. You have no idea on reliability claims that you make in regards to cars in Europe. For that matter you'd be hard pressed to find and hire a Jap rental over there. NZ settles for basic cars in their rental fleets because of the purchasing power of the rental firms , however it'll be interesting to see how Jucy get on with the 150 Fiats that they're introducing into their fleet here in NZ.

poppy62, Feb 7, 2:51am
Also Mercs as Taxis are one of the most common vehicles of choice.