Toyota vs VAG

mm12345, Jul 29, 10:25am

brapbrap8, Jul 29, 11:08am
Toyota is not going to be able to claim best selling car in NZ either this year.
Maybe it's a sign that people want their cars to be inovative and clever gadgets, rather than just appliances.

gammelvind, Jul 29, 8:47pm
Regardless of brand they are basically all appliances today, euro or Jappa. It comes down to what we want in a car and frankly the majority of people want an appliance. Posters in this forum would generally have higher expectations but if you went into general or parenting the more reliable/boring/appliance-like-
the better.

tamarillo, Jul 29, 11:26pm
Think gamma is right. Often help friends get cars and mostly it is most reliable simple we'll known car they can get that suits needs. Though, I've had people admit they've always had a hankering for something different, by which they usually mean a euro.
Helping someone right now, up to 10 grand, mostly short commute in Nelson but must do trip to Christchurch occasionally. Assuming Corolla would suit her, as she has an old corona, she wouldn't even drive it, said it was boring!

kazbanz, Jul 30, 12:12am
Im not sure why theres a "shock horror" reaction when all the Jap manufacturers said this would happen , They have been saying it since the change to the Jap tax laws (specific to vehicles) was proposed. (2 years ago from memory)
A sudden drop in new vehicle sales in Japan was expected especially in the under 660cc Kei class vehicles.
Japs are surprise surprise now hanging onto their cars longer. Again particularly Kei Class vehicles.

melonhead1, Jul 30, 1:19am
Cars have been crappy since they've been advertising "bluetooth" as a feature.
Its a car, the motor, gearbox, handling are what its about, not electronic gizmos. There's no room in this world for the mechanically minded bloke anymore.

brapbrap8, Jul 30, 1:30am
Well apparently Apple is working on a car now. If that stops working you will be asking your 12 year old kid to fix it for you rather than a mechanic.
How long before a poorly running car can be fixed by turning it off then back on again I wonder.

tamarillo, Jul 30, 3:05am
g
Yep she would, obsessed with economy and dislikes any speed!

tamarillo, Jul 30, 3:06am
But what is the biggest market for them? Is it home or states?

thejazzpianoma, Jul 30, 3:14am
I would see if I could talk her in to spending the extra and getting a brand new Panda. The twin air is obscenely economical, and they are more than capable on the open road. Really easy fun car to drive too. I am sure she would love trying to see how low she could the the on screen l/100km display.

They are one of the few cars that make good sense to buy brand new, the depreciation is so low and with everything being new and having a warranty it's pretty hard to beat the math on one.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 30, 3:16am
Kei class are pretty much a Jap only thing as far as I am aware. They are those horrible little 600cc city only death traps. I doubt they would meet crash standards anywhere else, goodness knows how we got some of them.

tamarillo, Jul 30, 3:58am
Tried it! Really.
They are borrowing it all and won't go more and she feels it's just too small. It will also be the family car and they have grandkids too! They're not modern people and actually don't think a new fiat is good idea in Nelson with no dealer etc.
showing her 2 golf fsi 2005 tomorrow, one 1600 one 2000cc. Also a 08 civic saloon local new.

pandai, Dec 11, 10:22am
06-08 accord euro comes to mind, road handling would seem a priority if doing trips between nelson and christchurch, the motor is big enough to make easy work of the trip, and it's chain driven etc as you will know.