Battery life?

ratzos, Apr 6, 8:41am
Hi guys, this is a bit of a different question.
My girlfriend and I are planning to go to a drive in cinema for the first time next week. We have a subaru Liberty 02. The battery is almost brand new.
The cinema does 2 - 3 movies at a time in a row in a package. We would likely only see two.
But I'm running 240w speakers through an 1800w amp and 1000w sub.
Can I be confident enough my battery would last 6 solid hours or so of sound? It's a 40 min highway drive back home so it should get recharged okay.

Cheers

intrade, Apr 6, 8:43am
car battery you want to deplete? and then start it after?

ratzos, Apr 6, 8:44am
All professionally installed and the sub has its own built in amp.
So the 1800w amp is powering the speakers only.

ratzos, Apr 6, 8:44am
I want to start it after, and get home naturally.

henderson_guy, Apr 6, 8:46am
I would highly doubt it.

robotnik, Apr 6, 8:47am
A place like a drive in theatre will have a jump start power pack handy for you to use. They will get customers with flat batteries all the time. Might pay to ring amd ask, but they probably do.

skin1235, Apr 6, 9:00am
or put a known good spare in the boot, to be used only for starting the vehicle when departing

you'll often find that after the amp has drawn the batt down too low it switches off, if at that time you try to start the engine it is too flat - but wait in the silence for 20 minutes and the engine will be able to be started

tony9, Apr 6, 9:03am
The most real power you would dissipate in the car is about 240W continuous, or a 20 Amp draw. But quite frankly You would have to wear ear protection or your ears will be stuffed within an hour.

Assuming you have a battery of 60 Amp Hours (pretty average for a larger petrol engine car battery) it would last about 3 hours. If you have a 100 Amp alternator it would theoretically recharge on the way home.

But after only 2 or 3 times discharging to dead flat and then fast charging within an hour (10 hour charge is best) your battery will be stuffed and lose capacity rapidly.

tamarillo, Apr 6, 9:30am
Confused, do they put the sound out through an fm broadcast? In which case take a portable radio. You'll be in the back seat anyway, so is the sound that important!
Install curtains.

ratzos, Mar 26, 12:14pm
I like your thinking. Any tips for diy car curtains? Oh, and maybe a bit of soundproofing too.

Cheers guys.