VE commodore 3.6 and 3.0 engine issues.

donz01, Feb 5, 7:53pm
I am thinking about buying a VE commodore to replace my old VS that has done over 600,000km. Its been super reliable and never been touched apart from a rocker cover gasket and cracked exhaust manifold I notice there are 3.6 litre engines and also smaller again 3.0 litre engines. How reliable are these newer engines and are there any tell tale signs of things to look out for mechanically. I hope to buy something with around 100 to 150k on the clock. Thanks in advance for any info.

mugenb20b, Feb 5, 8:14pm
Check for head gasket leakage with 3.6 motors and check heater hoses for coolant leaks (near the firewall, driver's side), easy enough to replace. Even though the 3.8 engine is old by design, I think it's far superior to the 3.6 and is more economical. And, I know nothing about the 3.0 litre so can't comment on what it's like.

mrfxit, Feb 5, 8:21pm
Not that the 3.8 is economical to start with

intrade, Feb 5, 8:31pm
it will depend like always on the emission class the vehicle is in i would assume yours is older below euro 4 emission hence it ran trouble free for this milage, diesel are the same euro 0 would do up to half a million km with not much else then oil and filters changed on time.
faulty diesel injector no problems they come right mostly only 1 spring and a plunger . NEW! faulty commonrail injector= destruction of engine if it dont becomes undrivable sooner.
Tuffere emission laws mean more electronic components are fitted in a harsh enviroment that causes contermination and multiple electronic component whom relay on the correct function of other components in order to not also get damaged over time.
the problem is when you have a rear tailgate switch of automatic closing tailgates tell the ecu, And its not shut even when it is it can put it the engine in limp home mode , nothing wrong with the engine and no replacment of engine component will fix it untill you repair the problem the tini microswitch fault on the tailgate.
this example i made up but these syystems exist in modern cars and you wont know! no one even knows its there untill you have a problem and find that as the only possibile concluding reason or read it on a tsb sheet from manufacturer as possibile cause for limp home .

So is it reliable the other one is it not depends on emission class and if the failing component gets changed befor it turns in to a problem i would say is the answer.
its why we got a euro 5 dacia with only engine controller and all else is non existing or is mechanical manual like windo winders and headlight sdjustment is also a twist button with a number 8 wire going to the headlight.

clark20, Feb 5, 11:38pm
Most problems have been sorted by now, I could see no major problems, just the usual servicing requirements have been done (ps the VE is miles above the features, safety and quality of the older models)

kingfisher21, Feb 5, 11:40pm
3.6? Don't go there, numerous issues, timing chain etc

monaro17, Feb 6, 1:12am
Well sort of. Only the very first of the ve models had timing chain issues. This was fixed in mid 2007 so the vast vast majority of the ones you will see around now are post 2007 so this is not an issue at all.

jason18, Feb 6, 1:30am
3.6 had the timing chain issues. I bought an 07 adventra. 3.6 has had timing chain already replaced. Apparently these are ultra heavy on gas. It's bloody good considering what it tows etc. The 2wd must be even better. Over all I think they are good engines. Seriously . Every car has its problems

donz01, Feb 19, 10:12pm
I ended up getting a very tidy 2006 VZ SV6 with the 3.6 and 5 speed auto. There does not appear to be any timing chain noise and mechanically I would be having trouble to fault it. Are there any other issues to watch out for or be aware of on these 190kw alloytech engines. Many Thanks in advance.

intrade, Jun 8, 10:59pm
only use service components from GM holden .
also how mutch work do you think you want
to do your self?