Advice re 4 x 4 diesel

gettinggrey, Sep 27, 1:52am
We are looking at a few older 4 x 4 diesels (1996 - 2000) Prado, Terrano 3.2, Surf's, Bighorn 3.1, Jeep, etc).
Just wanted for the odd 4 wheel drive outing with friends and a trip Nelson to Christchurch once or twice a year.
So, don't want a dunger, but just want it as a 2nd car.
Found a Patrol with the Z30 motor ( 2953cc). It's tidy, but I seem to recall the motor was no good in these?
Want to stay under $10,000 too.
What's good, and what's not to touch in these vehicles (I'm told 2.8 Pajero and Challenger are a no-no also).
I know the 3 litre Isuzu (2960cc ?) is a hand grenade too.
Just want solid and reliable. Probably only do about 6000 km per year.

franc123, Sep 27, 1:59am
Out of that bunch probably a toss up between Bighorn and Terrano, why are you looking specifically at diesel? For a low km recreational user they aren't necessarily the best option, unless a bit of heavy towing is going to be undertaken you might find a 5 door Escudo or even a RAV4 or similar would best fit your needs without financially exposing yourself to ageing diesel issues that will outweigh fuel cost differences.

gettinggrey, Sep 27, 2:26am
Had a RAV a few years ago, but won't go there again.
We do get into the odd spot where Low ratio box would be a bonus, so the RAV is no good.
Escudo we found a bit lacking in power.
We are planning to go out with a group of friends who do the odd 4 x 4 trip, with nice muddy bits and the odd river crossing (not up to the windows deep though).
Some farmers allow the group across their properties but only with 'real' 4 wheel drive vehicles.
I'm a retired mechanic so maintenance not too much worry.
One of the group uses a petrol Jeep, and reckons they can only afford to go on the trip yearly!
Also thinking about not wanting to drown a petrol motors HT electrics in the middle of a stream.

msigg, Sep 27, 6:25am
Out of that bunch the Prado or Jeep would be the best on road, off road the jeep slightly better than the Prado, followed by the nissan, etc. There are so many Prado on here with 300-400km, on the clock. each to their own but hard to beat a Toyota.

bwg11, Sep 27, 6:42am
My vote would go to a post 1996 Prado or possibly an inter-cooled Surf of the same era. The Jeep of the same year would be cheaper, but I don't have enough experience of the diesel of that era to comment. The petrol versions do go well on and off road albeit, thirstily.

monaro17, Sep 27, 7:00am
A Terrano in that price range or perhaps a bighorn yes. A prado in that range would likely have done huge kms. I would go for a Terrano 3.2 diesel.

Stick away from the ZD30 at ALL costs

gettinggrey, Sep 27, 7:35am
Thanks guys.
We found a '96 Prado SWB which the Missus liked. Only 155000km on it, but asking just under $14000 for it.
Seems to be a few Terrano 3.2 around here with about the 180000km on them for about 1/2 that price.
I do like the Prado's but not at $14000 for a '96.
Yes, intercooled Surf would be fine.
Mainly wanted some ideas of the ones to avoid really (like the Z30).
Jeep diesel use the Mercedes diesel motor I think (2.7 or 2.9 aren't they).
I know they are a b*tch to service the injector seals on because of the restricted access under the bonnet.

2sheddies, Sep 27, 7:46am
Depending whether or not you can manage with a 2 door, the SWB Mu with the 3.1 is a great little wagon. Being swb would go well off road, and they haul along very nicely and flatten hills easily with such a big motor in a smaller body.

horses7, Sep 27, 8:00am
Cant go past a 3.2 Terrano,almost indestructible engine,factory trans cooler and overall just a good honest truck,good to drive,handle and ride pretty well.Prado grossly overrated and overpriced,Bighorn a good truck but expensive to fix,even simple things like alternator a relative major

seadubya, Sep 27, 8:04am
After asking on here for similar reasons I bought an R50 Terrano with the td27 turbo, it goes good, I've pulled a few trailer loads of wood out of some pretty rough tracks without hassle so far. Goes pretty good on the road too, it isn't as gutless as I feared, I can pass campers or boats without spending too much time in the right lane. It cost a lot less than the Prado you mention. There is a lot more after market stuff for the toyota or jeep though if you were going to look at 4x4 upgrades.

bwg11, Sep 27, 8:48am
I've owned both 1KZ-TE Prado's and 2.7 turbo Terrano's. The Terrano's handle (or I probably should say corner better) on the road than the Prado, probably because they are lower and have less clearance which handicaps them off-road.

Terrano's are known for their weak autos. The Terrano will be thirstier as you will find the boot must be hard up them all the time. The Terrano's auto hubs will need replacing with manuals for any serious off-roading.

That said, the Terrano is still a good truck, it is just not equal to the Prado, which is why the market says they are cheaper than a Prado.

monaro17, Sep 27, 9:41pm
not necessarily true. Every or most Toyota product are more expensive than its competition but it doesn't mean they are better- in some cases faaaaar from it.

yes the 2.7 terrano requires a bootful but the 3.2 does not- and let's face it the 3.2 Terrano is the prados equivalent not the 2.7.

Having driven both and owning 3 terranos I can say they ride and out perform the Prado in every performance aspect.

As stated above prados are hideously over priced and quite over rated just like most of the Toyota second hand range.

mals69, Sep 27, 9:52pm
No comparison between a bighorn and a Terrano - Terrano everytime - way better build quality and handling !
Rav4 or flimsy Escudo - are they not planning on going off the gravel ?

mals69, Sep 27, 10:07pm
Many factors effect resale value - original price - supply - condition of available stock. Still get 4 grand anyday of the week for a 92 terrano in good condition. Auto in our one fine - helps if you service them.
Miffed about 2.7 being gutless when you can get them singing on song
with the turbo - gutless to me is a non turbo 2.8 hilux.

horses7, Sep 28, 10:44pm
Owned an R50 2.7 Terrano prior to our 3.2 and while it was no match for the 3.2 for power it still went ok and was just as good to drive and still towed our horse float no problem,didnt have factory trans cooler as standard so if towing pays to get one fitted but overall a really good wagon and still a fair few good ones out there at a reasonable price

pestri, Apr 21, 2:05am
Best I had was a Toyota Surf 4x4 with 2.4L diesel.turbo. Extremely economical to run, robust, and performed well off road.