Road user charges now suposed to be used for rail

Page 2 / 2
greeny, Aug 31, 10:03am
It must be wonderful in intrade world. I also pay road user charges as well a public transport rate to two regional councils. I OBJECT to my taxes/ road user charges being used in Auckland and to improve roads for more trucks but would be perfect happy to see rail being supported if it reduces the number of trucks on the road. Rail needs to have its infrastructure funded in much the same way as roads are to level the playing field

intrade, Aug 31, 10:04am
like i said i send you my road user charges and you pay for it heck why dont we all send our ruc to you since your willing to pay for it.

greeny, Aug 31, 10:19am
We all have to pay for things we don't want if you can't work that out intrade you must have a pretty small world and I did not say anywhere above I would pay your ruc.

westwyn, Aug 31, 11:19am
I'm not trying to wind you up here, I'm just failing to grasp what the reality is here. Assuming you're talking about the Northern Explorer service? It does NOT stop at Taumarunui for a scheduled stop. The station there is a hangover from the days when the Northerner, Silver Fern, Silver Star etc DID stop at provincial towns along the way. Now, the only stops made (IIRC) are Hamilton, National Park, Ohakune, Palmerston North and perhaps Paikakarekei? It's timetabled that way on purpose.

If you're talking about the Overlander (that ceased running around 3 years ago) then yes, it ran a scheduled stop at Taumarunui. And the service was a regular, daily scheduled service (I think 6 days a week) both ways. It was NEVER a "run it when they feel like it" service- it was timetabled and scheduled. The only reason the service wouldn't run is for unforeseen issues- a breakdown, track failure, slips etc- in which case KiwiRail ran a bus service to replace it (which also stopped at Taumarunui).

The provincial centres were withdrawn when the Northern Explorer was introduced as very few people were using it from those stops. Even WITH the service, there were no takers- and this was before ManaBus etc started really dealing to the marketplace, too. No customers / expensive stops / slower timetable= stations withdrawn.

intrade, Aug 31, 11:45am
westwyn
read the title i pay road user charges and i dont want to pay road user charges to be used for rail services whom cant make a profit as it stands so that i can pay them with my road user to pocket money from me and keep asking for more while they pay them selfs bonuses at the end of the year on how well they manage to milk people who pay vehicle fuel taxes.
its road user charge not .road user milking for rail sharholders profit charges.

greeny, Aug 31, 11:49am
Taxpayers are the rail shareholders

intrade, Aug 31, 11:50am
only in your wet dream.

intrade, Aug 31, 12:05pm
they will pump billions of tax payer money in to it and sell it off again so they can run it back in to the ground again like toll did.
and the profits from the sale pays for pay rises of the poletitions for that year.

westwyn, Aug 31, 12:10pm
Semantics I know, but technically IF KiwiRail (which is an SOE) made a profit, then the return / dividend after any investment etc would be paid to the sole shareholder- the Government- which (in my opinion) is not QUITE the same as saying taxpayers "own" it since the State does as an SOE, and while tax revenue does indeed make up the bulk of Government funding, it's not all (ergo, SOE's) thus technically it's incorrect to say "taxpayers own Kiwirail". We're more like "passive investors".

intrade, Aug 31, 12:15pm
here is another farcicle project.
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/projects/sh1-brynderwyn-hills/
its the 3th time they waste money now on this.
There should be a tunnel 4 lanes and next to it the railway tunnel bored thru the hill and it would be once and for ever propperly sorted.
the whole rail is a joke all the tunnels are to small and completely run in to the ground with no investment since only sucking the profits by toll and all the rest of the owners

westwyn, Aug 31, 12:50pm
I think $18 million or so is a drop in the bucket by comparison to the costs of a four-lane bore under the Brynderwyns. One day, maybe. but not in my working lifetime. Tunnelling is horrifically expensive in this day and age- it shouldn't be, but it is- and that's assuming the rock under the Brynderwyns is stable enough. Besides, the tunnel issue of the NAL (North Auckland Line) is the section south of Wellsford to Kaukapakapa- a tunnel under the hills won't fix that.

intrade, Aug 31, 11:22pm
Do you have any idea how much tunnels Switzerland has the tunnel boor machine is already here as far as I know but hey waste more money on some usless crap they don't even fix the dangerous side of the brendirven
And it took the friggenmorons 6 month to build a retainer wall of 30 meters in anbey cave road whangarei! Road closed
Ah yes and the swiss don't charge 2$ for a tunnel where you almost can see thru
I was working for neat in the 90 drilling probes for rail tunnel like gotthard 26 or more friggenmorons km long
And there is still 40 tonnet trucks on swiss roads tousends of it
2 bridge built in whangarei right next to each other only friggenmorons village idiots would do it this and the 3 bridge has vegetable oil in the hydraulic even do the Netherlands said not to do this as it destroys seals and they use normal hydraulic oil in there cilinders
It's a friggenmorons joke what they are allowed to do with my rates and now the bastards want my ruc money for more usless idiodic ideas

intrade, Aug 31, 11:32pm
Q+a last night 1 guy was on the money he spoke the truth word for word the tunnels can't even fit shipping containers thru on rail its a bottomless money pit and toll run kiwirail with no investment in to the ground
The government should just have disowned the rail off toll and finef em billions not payd emore to buy a ruined business back so we can pay for it for key to flogg it off again to his buddys

tintop, Sep 1, 1:49am
And before that there was the Night Express, The Night Limited, the Daylight express, north and south bound freaight, mixed trains by the dozen in both directions.

Taumaruni was a hub, engine changes, helper engines for the Raurimu Spiral. Trains to Stratford and return. The yard was always full of steam and smoke.

Then roads got better, cars more affordable, flying got cheaper and point to point trucking.

And now a handy place to park surplus rolling stock awaiting sale. :)

kam04, Sep 1, 2:10am
ffs - sell your diesel and get a petrol - problem solved

richardmayes, Sep 1, 2:11am
I see two young girls in rural India just got sentenced to be raped and then paraded naked through the village as "punishment" for their older brother's misdeeds (in eloping with a girl from a higher caste than his own.)

You know you live in a GREAT country, when the "injustice" people complain about is what the govt spends your road user charges on.

tintop, Sep 1, 2:42am
Yes - but there will always be at least one with a grizzle a day.

mrcat1, Sep 1, 4:28am
You still pay RUC on petrol, its just taxed at source.

mrcat1, Sep 1, 4:29am
And I think you will find the one grizzling the most is not even from here.

kam04, Aug 13, 5:12pm
-- and less noticable