Road user charges now suposed to be used for rail

Page 1 / 2
intrade, Aug 31, 6:31am
was just on tv 1 aperantly passange transport should be increased also and money used from roaduser to feed the rail system operated by absolute corrupt theiving gungsters.

intrade, Aug 31, 6:38am
let me tell some true things . Right
years ago i wanted to use the train from taumarunui to auckland . they told me i must call this number the night before back in the day to make sure a train will even come by. Now the train dont stop in taumarunui because no one used the train! wot the f,,,,,,,,k the wank,,,s never even stoped here so how could anyone even use the train.
Now it gets better listen up closely this is a true fact.
the railway station is full of passanger wagon and trains here in taumarunui, guards in security cars are parked everywhere to stop potentail tagging so they can flog them off to whom ever wants to buy them cheap because they got new trains from china for auckland.
man that really pi$$es me off we should start stoning these f*ç**ç like they do in india

cammey, Aug 31, 6:48am
As a road user, I can say, that its entirely sensible to move freight where possible from road to rail.

Every truck that vanishes from the road, makes the road more profitable for the trucks that remain, and faster and safer for me, in my car.

So the nett beneficiary of a move from road to rail is the trucking industry, and the motorist. So I have no problem with the idea of the road user paying to divert traffic to rail as is a much better deal than building more road capacity for the trucks.

But KiwiRail is a poor model.

The rail network needs to be treated like the road network.

It needs to have essentially the same cost per tonne/km as roads, and be operated like roads. So any operator can buy a wagon, and or prime mover, and put it on the track for a set tonne/km rate.

End Kiwirail. Invent Kiwirails.

intrade, Aug 31, 7:16am
yea like flogging off passanger trains for bugger all so i can pay ruc so the thugs can order more new trains from china . All it would do is my ruc would pay the bosses at kiwirail top bonuses and they would say its not enough we need more money for our next years bonus payouts.
calling kiwirail a poor modle is absolute extreem
understatment its a friggen farce! what these thugs are doing.

greeny, Aug 31, 7:33am
Intrade do some basic research before spouting the Auckland trains were built in Spain. The Wellington ones in Korea the locomotives in China and most other new wagons are Chinese. The new long distance passenger stock is NZ built.

KiwiRail makes a profit on running trains if you don't take into account the costs of maintaining the track which was allowed to deteriorate under private ownership.

IT'S about time rail and road were treated on a even playing field afterall roads don't make a profit and it is cheaper to get railways up to scratch not to mention that one freight train takes about 50 trucks off the road.

msigg, Aug 31, 7:34am
I'm with you on this cammey, most modern countries have a great rail network, using electric trains, big loads should go to towns and cities by rail, that's the most sensible option, unfortunately out rail has be run down for many years and I don't think things will change there.

intrade, Aug 31, 7:38am
yes so what are all these trains doing in taumarunui waiting to be floogd off to whom ever.
there is no passanger service here and i expained why because they never even did stop when there was a supposed service.
i dont have a problem with the concept. i have a problem with thugs who pay them selfs bonuses with my road user charges.

greeny, Aug 31, 7:45am
They are surplus from the Auckland Commuter and were brought by Auckland Transport on behalf of the Auckland ratepayers. they have nothing to do with your ruc or taxes. I guess you also have an issue with land transport as they spend the ruc that you pay.

intrade, Aug 31, 7:51am
they want more commutor services hamilton whangarei , if you seen on tv 1 news just before. So auckland rate payer money is stored in taumarunui to be flooged off so why do they need new commuters when they already have plenty here? to rip me off road user charges whom are more then high enough already . i send you my ruc bills and you pay it how about that?

greeny, Aug 31, 7:53am
Simple unsuitable for that distance as no toilets and wrong seating type for long distance

mrcat1, Aug 31, 7:58am
You need to find out where all the RUC's are going first, at a road transport forum it was revealed under duress of I think the LTSA representative that something like 82% of RUC's go to Winz.

westwyn, Aug 31, 8:12am
Jesus intrade, take a calm-pill. The trains stored at Taumarunui are the old SA/SD dedicated short-distance commuter stock owned by Auckland Transport, that required haulage by leased elderly diesel locomotives (most between 47 and 50 years old) around the network. They have been replaced by the new AM electric 3-car sets (around 59 in total, or thereabouts) built in Spain for Auckland Transport, designed to propel Auckland rail commuter services into the twenty-first century (and no, that's not an oxymoron!).
The old SA sets were a great stop-gap, built out of withdrawn British Rail Mark II carriages imported and rebuilt here to suit the Auckland network- but they were old, noisy, and the diesel-electric locomotives required to haul them even older and frequently unreliable.
Like any good system that invests to modernise, the SA's are now withdrawn- but unlike most rail companies around the world, be thankful AT has been prudent enough to look to selling the entire surplus fleet for export to another (probably African) nation rather than just scrap them. It demonstrates recycling on a grand scale! Taumarunui was chosen as it has a large storage yard rail network mostly out of use, less tagging and the ability for the entire fleet to be parked there awaiting inspection for, and prep, for sale.

The Northern Explorer is a tourist train- not a commuter service- and priced accordingly. Most of the provincial stations were withdrawn as stops when the new service was launched, to speed up timekeeping and reduce the fixed costs needed to run a ticket office etc, when in reality, no-one was using them.

I travelled on the Overlander not long before it became the Northern Explorer, and the number of stops were tedious, not least of all the reality that no-one was there to pick up or set down. Our later journey on the Northern Explorer was quicker and much more pleasant as a result- and in a clear sign it was the right strategy, revenue from the service is up as is patronage.

intrade, Aug 31, 8:33am
yea no one was there to be picked up because you had to ring the night before if the train would even come the next day. who in there right mind would want to go on a train service like that. i know thats 100% true i was told by the ticket place to call that number.
So if it wont turn up i just have to walk instead friggen morons
and then they claimed no one used the service . what service the one you had to walk if they told you the train wont come the next day when you rang the night befor.
but hey no one used the non existing service why might that possibly have been its so wierd huh why no one ended up on the train.

xs1100, Aug 31, 8:40am
of course they stopped there years ago that's why theres a huge railway station there. and yes as far as those carriages are concerned what a huge waste of money 4 guards @15 p/h x 24 h x 7 = $10 a week x52 =520k + a year and still no buyer.

there really is no reason what so ever for a truck to be carrying a load between Auckland and wellington theres no way it can be as efficient as a train

intrade, Aug 31, 8:42am
there is no reason my road user charges i pay for the roads should be used for the non existing rail service

xs1100, Aug 31, 8:42am
and whats the latest word on the power being down down there and could be back to using diesel trains. was the inside word a couple weeks ago when I was in taumaranui

2sheddies, Aug 31, 8:45am
A truck can take the load exactly where it needs to be. Trains are useful up to a point, but can never replace trucks.

intrade, Aug 31, 9:00am
the rail never made a profit and now i should pay for them to make profits with my road user charges , the money will be pocketed for bonuse payments , they could not get the rail to work years ago so why should i pay money to the incompetent tossers.

xs1100, Aug 31, 9:14am
yes but for a load to leave auck heading to wellington or even any were with a rail siding that should be the rule rail and the trucked

xs1100, Aug 31, 9:16am
when last In government control never made a profit because it was designed to hide unemployment like the power boards and the post office. everyone had a job

greeny, Aug 31, 9:34am
Rail carries about 1250 Containers a day from Tauranga to Auckland replace them with trucks and see how any one in auck gets around

greeny, Aug 31, 9:36am
That why trucks and trains both need to be part of a logical integrated transport system. Mainfrieght and a few other large trucking firms have realised this and now use the most appropriate freight mode to shift stuff.

intrade, Aug 31, 9:45am
so why do i need to pay road user charges to have them transport stuff on rail if its so efficient and better then it will pay for it self.
like i said i send you my road user charges you pay them and i dont have a problem if you pay it.

2sheddies, Aug 31, 9:49am
Agree with above. they need to co exist efficiently and complement each other better. Rail relies on road transport, in the same way shipping does. At some point most if not all those 1250 containers will need to be uplifted by trucks to reach their final destination. But moving them the majority of the way by rail makes complete sense.

intrade, Aug 31, 9:51am
yes it makes sens but not at my expense