Altezza fuel pump

kyokei, Oct 31, 9:48am
Hi guys,

Anyone able to estimate how it will cost to replace a fuel pump? Apparently it failed on my car earlier today and it was towed to a Toyota dealership in Wellington. I'm waiting to hear back from them tomorrow.

I fear it will cost around 1k to 1500 like my cambelt replacement last year.

Cheers

intrade, Oct 31, 10:49am
do you often run the car low or out of fuel?

intrade, Oct 31, 11:05am
if it is the fuel-pump and nothing else i would say they only sell as whole assembly 500$ or so at aguess plus fitting

kazbanz, Oct 31, 7:35pm
have a search on here and double the price to get a real price for the part. http://www.trademe.co.nz-
/motors/car-parts-accessories/-
toyota/electrics/auction-97328-
9937.htm
Fitting usually involves removing the back seat base -the fuel pump sits down there. the most difficult part of the job is usually getting the 20 year old hose to come off the plastic fitting.

Incidently Intrade is correct the normal cause of FP failure in a modern car is running out of fuel a time or three.

kyokei, Oct 31, 8:43pm
Thank you all for the responses. I just got a call quoting $579 to fix it.

To answer some, no the car has never run out of fuel during my 3 year ownership (cannot say what the previous owner has done) but have gone low twice (fuel light on) when the wife doesn't let me know the tank is low (she drives it most of the time).

Thank you all again

kazbanz, Oct 31, 9:58pm
the PART is $150 plus GST retail so being fair is $200 with a bit of freight.
If the quoted price includes the tow I'd say its fairy nuf.
379 labour means 3.5 hours. To be honest that seems a but steep to me.
NOT idiotic steep just about $100 over what I would think right.

intrade, Dec 7, 6:37pm
if they replace it make sure you get the old part you should get a whole assembly looks like the one listed on tradme.
and therin lies the problem to wire in a new pump for 150$ dont replaces the possible non return valve and the old tubing out of the assembly. So we dont know why the pump died maybe the new pump wont fix the car also because its a ground wire.
or maybe they fix the ground wire and charge for a new pump you never know its why you ask to have the old part.