Whoops toyota Ist

vandewc, Mar 25, 7:44am
Well I found out why I had no transmission oil.

The day before I did an oil change. Tonight I found that it wasn't the oil I had drained but the transmission.
Not only did I do that but I filled up what was already in the engine with 3.2 litres of fully synthetic oil $80.
Have I done any damage by running the transmission for 70km with no fluid and having twice the oil in the engine?

Please tell me I haven't
I bought some transmission fluid today to replace what I drained, but have to buy another pack of oil.

tamarillo, Mar 25, 7:48am
Well that's a maybe I think. Yes you surely could have damaged it, they like oil, but you might have got away with it. You'll know soon enough!

vandewc, Mar 25, 7:53am
What could happen

gunhand, Mar 25, 8:22am
Im not a mechanic and never pretend to be, do do oils etc myself tho.
I take it the car is still running okay? It must be if you done 70km.
If it is you may be lucky, may have been enough residual fliud to keep it working. As for the over fill, well again you may be lucky. bad things can and do happen but it seems they may not have as yet. Drain your engine oil, refill to correct level on dipstick. fill your trans to correct level as well. Check as said by other in your first post.
If you re lucky the car will run as normal. However in the future it could fail badly and expensively due to whats happened.
Any remedy if it fails won't be cheap.
and our ist is a standard trans not cvt.
If you are not sure how to do it get a mechanic to come to you to do it, explain what happened. Don't drive the car or even start it till sorted.

aj.2., Mar 25, 8:29am
Hell man , some people should never get out the door, of the house, in fact you would be safer to stay in bed.
You do as above then ask what could happen, Well if no lube in the Trans, things rub together, then dry out and heat then makes the bits grow in size and that causes more heat, then the rubbing together of the bits, starts ripping pieces out of the other bits.
In other words you bugger up the trans,, may not happen in a hurry, but it may start loading up the motor, and may start having trouble changing gear.
Check out a replacement gearbox, ( cost ) and then see why it can pay to have your car serviced, more so WHen you don't know what you are doing.

petal_91, Mar 25, 8:29am
You've probably only drained about 30% of the fluid out of the transmission when you did that. The rest would have stayed in the torque converter. You've probably shortened the transmission's life somewhat from excess wear through lack of fluid, but chances are if you fill it up it will be fine.

gunhand, Mar 25, 8:33am
Its dark outside lol, not going to look. But I will next time im under it.

snoopy221, Mar 25, 8:39am
Aye lol after all 3.2 litres (post1) ain't a trans and an un dipstick checked engine well diff about 2 litres and trans about 6 to8 so tranny might not be on the side of K road if lucky prevails -lol

aj.2., Mar 25, 8:53am
So maybe is diff, Now that would be real nice if the bearings seize up at speed, lose of control and a crash.

snoopy221, Mar 25, 8:57am
Nah just the diff drain is trans/diff but lower than trans pan
on some of them -but explains how it drove aye.

skull, Mar 25, 8:57am
Toyota 1st. speed?

ignition328, Mar 25, 11:57am
The bearings will spin in the housing and score/melt the hell out of it but you won't lock a wheel. Worst I've had is a spider gear section spat out but it caught on a crown tooth and wedged against the housing. It didn't come close to stopping the wheels in fact it shattered the gearbox casing into pieces instead; was a good bang but once it got rid of it she was sweet again, would of done another 100,000kms I reckon.

mugenb20b, Mar 25, 6:29pm
A lot of auto Toyotas have the same size drain plug for engine and trans (14mm). I don't recall diff drain plugs unless they were full time 4wd setups.

mugenb20b, Mar 25, 6:33pm
Next time, engine oil drain plug is the one that's closest to the filter.

Your engine will be OK if it hasn't popped any oil seals. Transmission will have a shortened life if it's still functioning like it should, otherwise, it will be toast.

kazbanz, Mar 25, 10:50pm
Where is did DIFF thing you lot are on about. Front wheel drive car

richardmayes, Apr 13, 7:55am
I'm no expert - but don't automatic transmissions work by having a series of epicyclic gear sets, each one with a "high" and a "low" ratio, and each with its own hydraulic-operated clutch, and the way the transmission changes up through the gears is by using oil pressure to lock up each of the epicyclic gear sets in turn, one after another?

If the car was driven for 70km with no problems noticed, then presumably the transmission MUST have still had enough oil remaining in it, that the pump was able to work, and developed normal oil pressure (as it must have done, in order to change up through the gears as normal?)

If there was enough oil remaining that the pump could still work, then would there be enough oil to perform vital lubrication functions also?

So the gearbox MIGHT now be on its very last legs. or maybe not. ? Who knows?