Roading Maintenance.

Page 2 / 2
tweake, Mar 21, 9:48am
slightly, not 3-4 times the amount. if you can surf a car in it your using to much !

poppy62, Mar 21, 9:37pm
As I said earlier, if these contractors are required to guarantee their workmanship (quality of product ) for a 6-12 month period, then the cowboys will disappear and the standard of roading / repair will improve. At the moment the average Joe/Jo Roading Tax Payer/User isn't getting his/her dues.

tintop, Mar 21, 10:04pm
Its a matter of who carries the risk - the contractor or the client. If the long term risk were to be put on the contractor then sealing costs would increase. At the moment the short term risk is on the contractor, the long term on the client. There is a balance.

It is in the contractors interests to make a good job of it because of the affect a bad job has on his attributes that need to submitted for his next tender.

The attributes requirements can be be quite strenuous, and there are cases where the highest priced tender can be accepted over a tender of 50% less because of the weighting applied to the non cost attributes.

The cowboys have already been weeded out as far as state fully paid or subsidised local authority work is concerned.

See
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/competitive-pricing-procedures-manual/vol-1/docs/appendices-no-appendices.pdf

tintop, Mar 21, 11:08pm
To put any minor issues into some sort of perspective - there are over 50,000km of sealed roads n NZ, that is centerline km's - no allowance for varying road widths or numbers of lanes.

Like any process there are things that can go wrong, but that is by far the exception rather than the rule.

poppy62, Mar 21, 11:10pm
Surely the increase in the contractors sealing costs with a guaranteed period, will eliminate the necessity for expensive constant ongoing repairs and traffic flow problems. I've always been of the opinion "do it once do it right" and why can't the Road Tax paying users demand that the quality of roading matches the costs.

tintop, Mar 21, 11:56pm
Most sealing failures occur within the maintenance period, some are evident within days. Longer maintenance periods tie up the contractors capital and add to the overall cost.

There is a bit of a 'dark art' involved in sealing - although there are established methods in selecting the materials and the application rates and the process involved - there is a narrow band between chip stripping and bitumen 'flushing up'. Most sealing hits the 'sweet spot', but some misses out. This is usually apparent within the maintenance period.

tweake, Mar 22, 6:33am
if thats the case why are we still having roads repaired so badly they are as bad after the "repair" as before?
it still sounds like whoever is inspecting the work and oking it, is letting them slide with a patch job rather than redoing the work they stuffed up.

tintop, Mar 22, 7:40am
Actually - I don't really care about your problem. Take it up with the applicable road controlling authority.

My aim here was to provide a bit of additional general information beyond the re-sealing question raised in another thread.

tweake, Apr 19, 12:04am
and neither do they.
thats the whole point i made at the start, its irrelevant how they inspect and report on the road if they are only going to mickey mouse it anyway.