Db export fuel consumption?

Page 1 / 2
mad_signtist, Jul 20, 8:38pm
anyone else using the new gull 98 fuel? I have started and I'm getting really bad fuel consumption. Anyone else find the same?

bosch2006, Jul 20, 8:44pm
How cheap is it

3tomany, Jul 20, 8:47pm
when I drink DB export the consumption is horrendous so why should the car be any different

whqqsh, Jul 20, 8:51pm
I get poor milage from Gull fuel anyway, used to use it as it was the closest station to home & always a bit cheaper, got 420-450 kms per tank (depending on usage around town). They started getting dearer so I switched to Mobil & Z who are opposite each other & always at war, now get 450-480/ tank (sometimes a bit more again depending on use). Not keen on going back either

intrade, Jul 20, 9:21pm
you can throw your car away soon with gulls crap the ethanol is for flex fuel engines only and even flexfuel engines can throw a woobly wwhen they get intoxicated . thats the easy answer , so unless you have a flex fuel engine you cant even use ethanol gull crap.
well you can but you wont like the repair bills your getting one day sooner or later .
if you put that crap in your tank you want to stop doing that and add a fuel treatment called ethnol defender in your fuel tank along with normal non hydroscopic fuels. because that is the problem with ethanol it binds water. just like you water down your schnaps with water . and we all know what water does inside carburettors and fuel injection systems. and water will make it passed the filters with the aid of ethanol. E10 = 10% alcohol

mad_signtist, Jul 20, 10:41pm
Gull website says its ok for the 3.6 commodore but yeah if it's not the best happy to switch back. My consumption has gone from 14.4 to 15.8 and that's the same kind of driving around town as close as I can. Price is 2.13 I think

mad_signtist, Jul 20, 10:42pm
I have noticed price go up. I complained once about there fuel and they gave me 40 petrol voucher so wanted to give it another go

timmo1, Jul 20, 10:54pm
Ethanol based fuels have a lower energy density than petroleum so fuel consumption will go up for the same work done. It *should* be offset by lower price per unit for ethanol based fuels but I haven't done the sums to see if it works out cheaper per K.

ntalke, Jul 20, 10:58pm
Find fuel consumption with Gull 98 around 1 LP/100k more

BF Turbo

mad_signtist, Jul 21, 12:16am
Yeah I always knew less kms with the ethanol based fuel but Im getting less compared tp the last 98 fuel gull had in there.

mad_signtist, Jul 21, 12:16am
Haha I have never once drunk it

melonhead1, Jul 21, 1:08am
Booze for me, Petrol for Cars.

whqqsh, Jul 21, 1:16am
Years ago DB was called Dribbly Bum, often it had that effect on those not accustomed to it, so no surprise as to lesser milage. Maybe some is dribbling out the back end unburnt

mimik3, Jul 21, 3:09am
Some of the statements made in this post are farcical and just down right lies. In New Zealand and Australia most cars can run on E10 without any problems.
E10 will not damage your engine if the vehicle is designed for it, the only issue is that you will get lower k's/litre

A Flex Fuel Engine is designed to run on E85 (85% Ethanol or Methanol) and currently is not greatly used in the southern hemisphere.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-advice/can-my-car-use-e10-ethanol-fuel-23625#.VaxjlPmqqko http://www.caltex.com.au/ProductsAndServices/Documents/BioFuels/BIO_E10_Car_Compatability.pdf

intrade, Jul 21, 3:40am
buddy if you fill with e10 and have water in your tank the ethanol will bind with the water. next time you fill up with e10 again you have 20% ethanol in your tank. and then 30 and 40, it wont be exactly like this, but thats how vehicles whom are designed to burn ethanol even crap them selfs because all of a sudden its water and ethanol it gets and the calculation for burning it correctly is out the window with a no start.
Go learn some professional diagnostics , i dont tell wrong things i tell the truth how things are , just because your car runs fine dont means it was designed to run on it and manufacturer do mesure for ethanol on warranty claims and you will have voided your warranty if they find ethanol in a non flexfuel system when engine is destroyed i guarantee you that much.

a.woodrow, Jul 21, 5:54am

thejazzpianoma, Jul 21, 6:20am
Since you are so keen on the full truth being available. Would you like to declare your affiliation if any to Gull or any other fuel company?

clark20, Jul 21, 6:40am
My V8 Commodore was good for 15% Alcohol, but when I used Gull E10 my fuel sensor failed 1/2 way into a tank, Fact, Can I prove it was the gas? - no, but I will never go near it again. And Gull don't send any more letters, it just makes us not want to use your gas even less.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 21, 6:50am
Their attempt at tens of millions in tax evasion (look it up they were prosecuted) and taking over rural service stations did it for me. Even before they sent me a lawyers letter for discussing it on here.

mimik3, Jul 21, 10:27am
I think if you are going to talk about professional diagnostics, then I suggest that you learn some as well.

mimik3, Jul 21, 10:28am
My affiliation is as a professional engineer working in the automotive industry

intrade, Jul 21, 10:30pm
you know you are actuarly confirming what i said lets quote you here.
you are 100% correct there i was not talking when everything goes rite if you have a problem clearly something went wrong and i point out what can go wrong.
Firstly the ethanol will absorb the water and then as you use the tank the absorbed water will pass through the fuel system and be burnt out. And that is the norm. " quote end
that is 100% correct .
so water binds to ethanol then it gets thru your fuelfilter and in to the injectors.
you now have this water ethanol mix in your fuel rail wanting to be burned, you shut the car down exactly when this is taking place.
you go on holliday for 5 weeks and come back and the car wont start now . well water in a injection system is bad news . Flex fuel engines have corrosion resisting components fitted normal car sure as heck dont.
that is one scenario how you cause expensive damage to your injection system
and of course its based on something needing to go wrong thats why things fail they dont fail because things go rite. do they!
the other statment is also correct you have a bigger problem if you have more then the amount you stated in the tank, i dont dispute that either its problems that shut cars down . problems no one did think could happen but they did and do , so if you dont run ethanol fuel ever then water wont bind to the fuel it will sit in the tank at the bottom and nothing will happen. untill you add ethanole fuel whaaam a problem boom!

intrade, Jul 21, 10:42pm
i dont want to debate that water wont get in the fuel it does do if things went wrong and a lurking problem that is a non-problem can become a big problem especially on diesel with ethanol contermination water making it passed the fuel filter to be burned wohooo havoc in there if you got that stuff sitting in the fuel system there is plenty pictures on the net , and i keep telling since the last 10 years of ulsd problems , the biggest issue was what we did not know fading out now.
i still recommend as always if you have a diesel dont risk it run a diesel additive in your fuel if you got a dpf then use one stating to be dpf save .i will post the latest on a new thread about the ulsd problems on diesel and how and why its now a lesser problem.
diesel have water fuel seperator and ethanol bypass exactly that filter as you correctly stated.

kevymtnz, Jul 21, 10:50pm
only modern cars can use Ethanol and infact some can use 100% moonshine as they call it and is better than petrol
talk to a rally car driver
the only other fuel is BP the rest are useless Shell (Z) Caltex etc

nzdoug, Jul 21, 10:58pm
Hey Jazz,
Whats the best fuel for my v6 VWCC?
I have a choice of Z or Caltex.
I have been using both and give it an occasional Mobil.
Im get 8L/100 more or less as the closest stop sign is 42 kms away, so wiggly up and down highway driving mostly.
Are all 98 octanes the same?