Brake Disc Moblle Grinders

Page 1 / 2
gazzat22, Jan 22, 12:15am
Does anyone know of the above operating in Sth Auckland papakura-pukekohe area and a ball park figure of cost. Thks

gmphil, Jan 22, 1:48am
yup this it cant remember is name came in did disks on mate car year or two ago $40 a side ring ya local autostop they will have his cell #

ceebee2, Jan 23, 4:22am
Have you priced up new discs. Exedy parts on the Northshore are pretty hard to beat.

gazzat22, Jan 23, 7:39am
No old discs not too bad just need a quick skimpads got a lower than i would prefer.

twincam1, Jan 23, 8:33am
If there is only a ridge on outer of disc, if you take calipers off, hold angle grinder gently on the ridge the disc will spin like a lathe and remove the ridge quite easily. No good if you have scores over whole surface of disc though.

sr2, Jan 23, 8:44am
Err. please no!

twincam1, Jan 23, 8:47am
Er yes, if you have any engineering knowledge.

sr2, Jan 23, 9:14am
Err No!
40 odd years in the engineering industry, originally trained by PBR in Australia, headhunted by APPCO Brake & Clutch NZ in the 80's to train staff and mechanics on the finer point of braking systems and since leaving the automotive industry for more lucrative pastures have spent the last 20 years building and running Tarmac Rally cars.

To reiterate my earlier post, please do not attack your brake rotors with an angle grinder!

twincam1, Jan 23, 9:48am
Almost as long as me huh? Tell me the difference skimming a disc outer edge with a lathe or a stone grinder, if you know how to use either.

jmma, Jan 23, 9:56am
You have to remember, some of us are idiots that read these post's (o:

sr2, Jan 23, 9:58am
Mate, I'm not into pissing competitions, just ask anyone here who knows me.

I'll sign off and leave you to enlighten the OP with your obviously superior knowledge.

twincam1, Jan 23, 9:58am
Yes i should have qualified my first post, not to do if you don't know what you are doing.

twincam1, Jan 23, 10:00am
Neither am I, cya.

pandai, Jan 23, 10:10am
The benefit of machining the rotors on the car with the proper machine is that the rotors will run true to hub

twincam1, Jan 23, 10:38am
Seeing as you have given your qualifications. My youngest boy, still in his 30s has been top Auto Technician in Aus' from shop floor to management for 2 yrs running and probably for another few years yet, some of me must have rubbed off on him. I have been in engineering since the mid 1960s.

gmphil, Jan 23, 7:22pm
after all that mite aswell just stickin new pad and let them self grind. angle gringer that's as ruff as it gets lol .as stated above the average person attacking disk with grinder askin for distortion . are they top hat style? . on trade new ones are only roughly ten buks more for average ones than a skim cost

twincam1, Jan 23, 7:31pm
They are cheap as chips, put new ones on.

whqqsh, Jan 24, 8:12pm
agree, for about the same price or a bit more maybe you can have new. I tried to get a resurface done & they wanted the car up on stands, wheels off & callipers off. By the time Id done that the jobs 3/4s done, I only had to remove the locknut & off comes the disc

scuba, Jan 25, 2:50am
Ok for those of us that can get parts at the right price but for Joe Average not always the case.
I agree with you most of the times your almost there so just carry on and replace the parts and return car to as new but sometimes the case is there to do a skim and just fit new pads.

whqqsh, Jan 25, 4:00am
Even Repco over the counter can do discs reasonably cheap, I got caught out on a weekend & had to go there for the wifes VR6 Golf last year, just over $200 (BTW Im not in the trade either). Shop around Autostop, BnT etc & probably get discs & pads for under that. even without an account

sr2, Jan 25, 8:45am
Just revisited the thread and saw your post; it sounds like your son is obviously a chip off the old block, you must be very proud of him.

Please don't advise him to attack the rotor's with on his customers cars with an angle grinder, he's obviously doing well without the paternal input.

snoopy221, Jan 25, 9:22am
Sheesh sr2 and twincam.
used plenty of on car disc machines. lol
Oh and used the ole one wheel on the ground second gear grinder/sanding disc on car disc and rear brake drum reversed and on front lip removal- die grinder and flap wheel even UNIVERSAL tool meself.

snoopy221, Jan 25, 9:26am

snoopy221, Jan 25, 9:31am
Note if ain't got good L S D
one wheel on the ground second gear idling= lathe and grinder=rough backyard cutting tip for lathe- lol

twincam1, Jan 25, 9:41am
Hi Mchael, Happy New Year m8.