Dizzy problem?

1913, Jun 26, 11:02am
Hi all, have an issue with my 383 chev. I think its the dizzy issue, but my mechanic thinks possibly carbs need balancing. Running crate 383 with tunnel ram, 390 cfm holleys.
Starts fine, but when flooring it, starts to stutter and choke itself, has slight midfire as well.
Mechanic has just changed leas and plugs, comptression tested, inspected fuel line, charges, battery.
Help.

ridiculousness, Jun 26, 11:24am
I take it they are small 4 barrel carbs? How are the fuel float levels? There should be level bungs on the side of the fuel bowls that you remove to set the float level. The fuel should juuuuuust trickle out of those holes while the engine is running. If the float levels are out I imagine she'll stutter and choke a bit. The accelerator pump is another thing to check.

ridiculousness, Jun 26, 11:32am
What sort of dizzy are you running? Points? Does it have vacuum advance? I have known of one such fault where the earth strap inside the dizzy was broken, the one that earths the points plate and it farted and spluttered when the engine was revved, which would break the earth and cut the engine out then as it cut out it would reconnect again rev up and then cut out and so on.

bigfatmat1, Apr 24, 5:23pm
12v coil wired into ballast system perhaps. Seen it a few times on new builds