Holden Colorado

wayne1961, Jul 10, 4:08am
Has anyone out there who has the later model Holden Colorado had issues with excessive oil consumption , do you have one that's under warrantee and never bothered to check the oil yourself because it gets done when its serviced and its new , a wee word of advise check the dipstick and see if there is anything on it, you may be shocked, just wanting to see if these are isolated events or its a general problem we are not being told about

timmo1, Jul 10, 8:58pm
A general problem problem of people not checking their dipsticks or excessive oil consumption? How will we know about excessive oil consumption if people don't check their dipsticks?

3tomany, Jul 10, 9:22pm

justwotever, Jul 10, 11:16pm
just Bought a new Colorado a week ago now thats got me worried

wind.turbine, Jul 11, 7:26am
My parents bought a 2014 model late last year and it has this same issue.
loses about 1L of oil in less than 10,000km!
First they new of it was when they checked oil level and the dip stick was dry!
called the dealer and they new of the problem and it seems it has not effected all of the engines but there are a few with the problem.

Said problem has yet to be identified, no oil leaking on the ground so you have to assume its burning it, and tbh when I was following it once, I did notice a bit more black smoke than you would think would be acceptable for a new engine.

Their solution is to wait it out for a while, keeping it topped up and see if it just needs the seals to run in properly!

and to top it off its now needing a new main input drive seal on the rear diff as that is leaking!

Its only done between 20-30,000 km!

Not a nice ute to drive ether due to it being geared so high, which the dealer has also mentioned that they have found to be an issue as drivers that use them every day in stop start traffic, have burnt out the clutches, and a few have already gone in under warranty for new clutches

3tomany, Jul 11, 10:10pm
Dam you, paranoia made me check the oil on my ranger 7500kms and can report still on the full mark.

intrade, Jul 11, 10:22pm
be awear if you short trip drive common rail euro 4 diesel and almost any euro 4 have a dpf, the diesel gets in the sump oil diluting the engine oil so if its over full you must act up on it soonest and if it feels like its got diesel in the oil change it or your engine will be destroyed from lack of lubrication.
so actuarly having oil level drop is not what i see a bad thing , oil lever rise or burning oil and replacing it with diesel in engine oil that = deadly danger combination.
plus new diesel only use correct engine oil its deadly to use wrong oils to your exhaust after treatment system DPF on vehicle only use aproofed DPF engine oils. the other way dont use a dpf engine oil on a older diesel you will destroy the older diesel with a dpf oil.
i hope you dont have headaches by now hahah.

intrade, Jul 11, 11:36pm
dpf diesel-particulet-filter life span is 150 tousend american miles = about 240,000km thats the end of live of the dpf by manufacturer under optimal conditions .
these are facts not fictional figures from manufacturer like ford and GM holden opel . etc its all american General motors . GM = american products.

tsjcf, Jul 12, 12:01am
lol went and did the same on my ranger still ok at 14K

llamanut, Jul 13, 8:27am
You always have to check oil levels in trucks, has been the same case since trucks began, they all have examples in every model that burn oil.

3tomany, Jul 13, 8:46am
my old 1985 Kubota adds to the dipstick over time but seems to keep on going, I just change the oil when there is to much in there lol

wayne1961, Jul 19, 8:24pm
Good feed back people , done some more homework and it appears to be restricted to just a few engines , ours has done 48,000 kms and no problems , as for the Colorado not being nice to drive ,totally disagree ours is great but it is an auto apparently the manuals are a bit like the Ranger don't know if its all the torque but I have driven a manual Ranger and Colorado and both were the same I found the they could be driven in sixth gear at low speeds such as 40 kms per hour and they would still pull ok with out labouring and round town you were for ever changing gears both were good to drive but I would imagine it would become tedious after a while the reason we went for the Coly was it was easier to access the deck the Ranger was too high to be practical at the time the price tag was better on the Holden not now though both are priced much the same , the Ranger is a better looking ute though and finished nicer inside , pros and cons for both depending on which camp you sit in

aredwood, Jul 20, 12:51am
When you say that using DPF oil in an older diesel engine will damage it. How old an engine do you mean? Are you simply referring to putting a full synthetic oil into a sludged up old engine and loosening all the built up sludge and varnish? Or are there chemical or additives in the DPF oil that cause problems with old engines?

Reason Im asking is that i was going to change the oil in my 02 Merc Vito today. And bought some API- CJ rated oil. Which the container says is suitable for DPF. There is no DPF or EGR in my Vito. Although the versions sold overseas definitely have EGR and probably DPF as well.

tweake, Jul 20, 3:04am
apart from that DPF engine oil is more expensive, they have removed some of the old additives and replaced them with new ones, hence there is often an increase in cost.
there is some debate about how well the new additives work especially on older engines that where not designed with them in mind.

i would stick to CH grade or what equivalent euro specs the merc requires.

xanadu161, Jul 20, 4:30am
Thanks ,Wayne, for alerting me to excess oil consumption.
Since reading your comment I checked my Colorado 7 LTZ diesel I bought new in May 2015 and found zero oil on stick --vehicle only done 8000kms and only 5000kms since last service.-No noticeable oil leaks - I will now go back to the Dealer for an explanation-- Not happy.

gjva, Jan 22, 6:21pm
I have a 2013 LTZ Colorado done 65k, oil never shifts between the 15k oil changes. It does alot of towing and long runs. all good here